- See Category:Blender for tutorials.
Blender is a free and open source 3D modeling package that can be used to create models for Source. Blender has also been available on Steam since April 3 2015, it comes with automatic updates but has no support for the in-app steam overlay currently.
Blender offers free 3D modelling and texture mapping features.
- You can create texture, and animate models.
- Use addons to import and export numerous different file types like SMD and DMX for your Source mods or the Steam Workshop.
Blender and Source
- Follow the Blender for Source 2 tutorial to export a mesh from Blender to Source 2.
- The Blender Source Tools can import and export SMD and DMX.
- See Animation in Blender to learn how to rig and animate in a way that survives SMD export.
- You can store as many models as you like in the same .blend file. Use scenes and/or layers to easily manage the different elements.
Where can I learn to use Blender?
Although the Valve Developer Community has limited information about using Blender, we offer a variety of external resources for you to learn and master Blender.
- Official Blender Manual - The definitive manual on Blender 2.6, provided by and hosted on the Blender website.
- Blender 3D: Noob to Pro A helpful online resource book hosted on WikiBooks, a site that runs on the same format as this site.
- Blender Basics - 4th Edition an online(but printable) classroom textbook released under Creative Commons BY the Central Dauphin High School.