MapFool is a nifty program that will help you with porting HL1 maps to Source; it lets you open the wads and even save them as new materials and textures for use in your new Source map.
There is currently a bug with the installer provided on the MapFool homepage that will prevent MapFool from installing if you have a newer version of the .net framework then 1.1. An updated version of the installer that will work with newer versions of .net is available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zn1xzbzakcm
To fix this, follow these steps;
Warning: This method requires editing the Windows registry. Use with caution.
- Go to Start Menu --> Run (Alternatively use the Search bar)
- type regedit, press enter
- Go to desired restricted key (In this case HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wordpad.Document.8)
- Right click the folder its in (Wordpad.Document.8)
- click Permissions
- Click Advanced, then Owner tab
- Change the owner from administrator to whatever name you are using
- Click OK twice to get out of the pop-ups completely
- Right click folder again
- Click Permissions
- click OWNER RIGHTS
- Next to full control and read, click the allow boxes.
- Click OK
- MapFool will now successfully install. (Tested on Windows Vista Ultimate x64)
- MAPFool 1.2 Download @ TheRaZZeRApp