One of the most popular modeling programs in game design, it is a very powerful toolbox. Discreet, a division of Autodesk, makes this program along with several others for creative professionals, in not only the entertainment software industry, but for motion pictures, visualization, architecture, and many other professions. 3ds Max comes with several options for modeling solids, including polygonal modeling, NURBS modeling, and patch modeling.
GMax, a free version of this program specifically designed for modding games has been discontinued.
You can now use 3ds Max as your level editor with Wall Worm. You can learn more about this by reading Hammered to the Max: A Hammer User's Guide to 3ds Max.
- Making flexes using 3ds Max by Cannonfodder commented by Snotball
- Creating Flex VTA files with 3D Studio Max using Wunderboy's VTA exporter.
- .smd Exporter and Importer by Cannonfodder
- 3DS Max 9/2008/2009/2010&2011/2012 SMD exporter
- 3DS Max 9/2008/2009/2010&2011/2012 SMD importer
- 3DS Max 9/2008/2009/2010&2011/2012 VTA exporter
- 3DSMax VTF plugin
- Game Level Builder .map Exporter by Maple3D
- Note: This plugin has been retired by the developer. An older version is still available on the developer's site.
- Convexity .VMF Exporter by Maple3D
- Note: This is a newer commercial version that replaced GLB mentioned above.
- Wall Worm Model Tools - Wall Worm Model Tools for 3ds Max
- Note: Wall Worm includes: DMX Exporter, SMD Exporter, VTA Exporter, SMD Importer, QC generator, VMF Exporter, VMF Importer, MAP Exporter, MAP Importer and more.
- Sky Writer