One of the most popular modeling programs in game design, it is a very powerful toolbox. Discreet, a division of Autodesk, makes this program along with several others for creative professionals, in not only the entertainment software industry, but for motion pictures, visualization, architecture, and many other professions. 3ds Max comes with several options for modeling solids, including polygonal modeling, NURBS modeling, and patch modeling.
GMax, a free version of this program specifically designed for modding games has been discontinued.
You can now use 3ds Max as your level editor with Wall Worm. You can learn more about this by reading Hammered to the Max: A Hammer User's Guide to 3ds Max.
- Making flexes using 3ds Max by Cannonfodder commented by Snotball
- Creating Flex VTA files with 3D Studio Max using Wunderboy's VTA exporter.
- .DMX .SMD Importer and Exporter, VTA Exporter by Game Zombie
- .QC .SMD .DMX .VTA Importer and more, .SMD .VTA Exporter by WallWorm
- VTF texture support plugin By Wonderboy
- .SMD exporter (Max 9,2008-2012,2017-2020) By Wonderboy
- .SMD importer (Max 9,2008-2012,2017-2020) By Wonderboy
- .VTA exporter (Max 9,2008-2012,2017-2020) By Wonderboy
- .smd Exporter and Importer by Cannonfodder
- Game Level Builder .map Exporter by Maple3D
- Note: This plugin has been retired by the developer. An older version is still available on the developer's site.
- Convexity .VMF Exporter by Maple3D
- Sky Writer