Environmental Lighting, Sun, Weather, & Outdoors
|Abstract Mapping series Discuss your thoughts—Help us develop the articles or ideas you want
Ammunition | Animals | Animated Clouds | Animated Sky | Antlions | Beams | Bushes | Cables | Color | Combat | Combine | Creatures | Doors | Dust | Elevators | Environmental Lighting | Explosions | Fire | Fog | Foliage | Glass | Grass | Headcrab | Health | Ladders | Lasers | Lighting | Moving Clouds | Music | Optimization | Outdoors | Physics | Retinal scanners | Ropes | Smoke | Sound | Special effects | Sun | Terrain | Trains | Trees | Turrets | Water | Weather | Windows | Zombie
Topics directly relevant to making outdoor areas. (For general mapping help, see Category:Level Design.)
- Skybox (2D) — basic skies
- 3D Skybox — adding items (such as buildings) to the skybox
- Displacements — terrain (such as hills, cliffs, caves, and non-flat grass)
- Precipitation issues — to make sure your rain/snow works right.
- light_environment - Both Direct and Diffuse light coming from the skybox ("toolsskybox" texture).
- env_sun - places a glow sprite in the skybox to represent the sun itself.
- shadow_control - necessary to control the dynamic shadows cast by light_environment.
- func_precipitation - brush-based entity for rain or snow.
- func_viscluster - for merging visleafs in large, open areas.
- For nature props check the
props_foliagefolder in Hammer Model Browser.
- Search for
naturein the Hammer Material Browser.
- For smooth transitions between two types of material, such as grass to sand, use alpha blending with