Episode One (engine branch)
From Valve Developer Community
New since Half-Life 2:
- High Dynamic Range rendering
- A simulation of brightness values outside computer monitors' actual range, and of aperture adjustment.
- Phong shading
- Diffuse reflections for skin and other roughened surfaces.
- Facial animation upgrades
- More detail and intenser shapes for close-up performances.
- Dynamic interactions
- Dynamic interactions between NPCs using special animations.
- Lightwarp textures
- 1D textures that tint a material per-texel depending on their brightness.
- DirectX 9 Shader Model 3
- Unlocks greatly improved shader performance.
- Detail prop shapes
- Improved detail sprites that sway in the breeze and bend away from nearby players.
Gamecode for this branch is included in the Source SDK.