Alien Swarm (engine branch)
New since Left 4 Dead 2 is:
- A new quick-build mapping tool. Level designers create connectible rooms and corridors which can be arranged either by hand or programmatically. TileGen maps can be played in-editor, and/or can be exported to Hammer for further refinement.illuminate an entire scene.
- VTF version 7.5 and PCF version Binary 5 PCF 2
- The latest versions of Source's texture and particle formats.
- Depth of field
- A real-time depth of field shader blurs backdrop scenery.
- Vertex animation
- The ability to animate vertexes directly is now supported.
- Various entity improvements
- Numerous entities have been improved and have new features, such as
- Water debris flow
- Water now supports the ability to use a base texture layer that is flowed using a flow map. This implemention is less advanced than Portal 2's, however.
- Lightmap influence on cubemapped materials
- Lightmaps can now tint cubemap reflections in the
- Steamworks integration
- Unclear how useful this will be, as currently Steamworks distribution is required to implement persistence, Steam Cloud, achievements, etc.
Gamecode for this branch is included in the Alien Swarm SDK.