Tip: If your model is never going to move and/or requires more detailed lighting, consider using
prop_static(which is cheaper).
Note: To enforce consistency, models with embedded physics data cannot by default be used by
prop_dynamic. Use the Hammer model browser's Info tab to check for support. If you intend to use a physics model in non-physics role, use
This entity is also tied to
dynamic_prop. The classname is always changed to
- Buttons can be created by parenting a
func_buttonbrush. This will cause
+useinputs on the prop to be forwarded to the
func_button, which can be placed anywhere in the map (or even outside the map, as long as the origin is inside). The
SetAnimationinput can then be used to make the prop animate when interacted with.
- Similarly, levers can be created by parenting a
momentary_rot_button) brush. No animation is needed for this - the brush will rotate the prop by itself. As before, the entity can be placed anywhere, as long as the origin is positioned at the point you want it to rotate around.
prop_dynamiccan be configured to break apart after receiving damage or on cue by using the
Breakinput.Bug: Health set inside the model will override health set in Hammer!
- Default Animation (DefaultAnim)
- The animation this prop will play when not doing a random or forced animation.
- Randomly Animate (RandomAnimation)
- Makes the prop randomly select and play animations at intervals defined by the Min/Max Random Anim Time KVs. In between the random animations, it will revert to playing Default Animation.
- Min Random Anim Time (MinAnimTime)
- Minimum time between random animations.
- Max Random Anim Time (MaxAnimTime)
- Maximum time between random animations.
- Update children (updatechildren)
- Disable Bone Followers (DisableBoneFollowers)
- Disables generation of
phys_bone_followers for each convex piece the model has in its collision model.
phys_bone_followers can quickly eat up the edict count, so this keyvalue can be very helpful in freeing resources. This will however make the collision model no longer function ([confirm] As in become non-solid?), and the model will not be able to ragdoll anymore.
- Hold Animation (HoldAnimation)
- If set, the prop will not loop its animation, but hold the last frame.
- Animate Every Frame (AnimateEveryFrame)
- Force this prop to animate every frame. Usually this doesn't need to be touched.
- Allow Physics Gun
- If set, players cannot use Physics Gun on this entity.
- Sandbox Tool Whitelist
- If set, only given tools can be used on this entity. You need to supply the tool class names, the names of the .lua files of those tools. This also includes the context menu properties!
- Explosion Damage (ExplodeDamage)
- If non-zero, when this entity breaks it will create an explosion that causes the specified amount of damage. See also Explosion Radius.
- Explodsion Radius (ExplodeRadius)
- If non-zero, when this entity breaks it will create an explosion with a radius of the specified amount. See also Explosion Damage.
- Sound to make when punted (puntsound)
- Sound to make when punted by gravity gun.
- Break Model Message (BreakModelMessage)
- "If set, will use this break model message instead of the normal break behavior." Confirm:Is this new with Source SDK 2013...? It isn't in Alien Swarm or 2007 code but is in 2013. New with L4D?
- Performance Mode (PerformanceMode)
- Used to limit the amount of gibs produced when this entity breaks, for performance reasons.
- 0: Normal
- 1: No Gibs
- 2: Full Gibs on All Platforms (Xbox 360, PS3, etc)
- 3: Reduced gibs
- Min Damage to Hurt (minhealthdmg)
- If a single hit to the object doesn't do at least this much damage, the prop won't take any of the damage it attempted to give.
- Pressure Delay (PressureDelay)
- Seconds to delay breaking from pressure. Allows creaking/groaning sounds to play.
- Health (health)
- How close to breaking the object is.
- Maximum Health (max_health)
- Health cannot exceed this amount.
- Physics Impact Damage Scale (physdamagescale)
- Multiplier for damage amount when this entity is hit by a physics object. With a value of 0 the entity will take no damage from physics.
- Breakable By (BreakableType)
- only. Who can break this?
- 0: Everyone
- 1: All Infected
- 2: Only Tanks
- World Model
- The model this entity should appear as. 128-character limit.
(skin or ModelSkin )
- Some models have multiple skins. This value selects from the index, starting with 0.
- Method of collision for this entity.
- Body Group
(body or SetBodyGroup)
- Sets the the active $bodygroup.
- Hitbox Set
- Sets the $hboxset to use.
- Default animation sequence for the model to be playing after spawning.
- Playback Rate
- A multiplier of the framerate at which animations are played, negative values are accepted. Default is 1.0
- The current frame of the currently playing animation, on a range from 0-1.
- Lighting Origin
- Select an entity (not
info_lighting!) from which to sample lighting instead of the entity's origin.
- Lighting Origin Offset
info_lighting_relativefrom which to sample lighting instead of the entity's origin. Not in .
- Damage Filter Name
- When this entity receives damage, it will filter by this entity.
- Start Fade Distance
- Distance at which the entity starts fading. If <0, the entity will disappear instantly when end fade is hit. The value will scale appropriately if the entity is in a 3D Skybox.
- End Fade Distance
- Distance at which the entity ends fading. If <0, the entity won't disappear at all. The value will scale appropriately if the entity is in a 3D Skybox.
- Fade Scale
- If specified in the
worldspawn, or if the engine is running below DirectX 8, entities will fade out even if the fade distances above aren't specified. This value gives more control over when this happens: numbers smaller than 1 cause the entity to fade out at further distances, and greater than 1 cause it to fade out at closer distances. Using 0 turns off the forced fade altogether. See also
- Render Mode
- Set a non-standard rendering mode on this entity.
- Render FX / Transparency (0 - 255)
- Transparency amount, requires a Render Mode other than Normal. 0 is invisible, 255 is fully visible.
- Render Color (R G B)
- Color tint.
- Render FX
- Preset pattern of appearance effects.
- To do: 18-21, 25
- Shadow Cast Distance
- Sets how far the entity casts dynamic shadows. 0 means default distance from the shadow_control entity.
Note: Further reasearch needed, not avalible for prop_dynamic in Source 2013
- Disable Shadows
- Prevent the entity from creating cheap render-to-texture shadows. Does not affect shadow mapping.
- Disable Receiving Shadows
- Prevent the entity from receiving shadows on itself.
- Model Index
- Changes the entity's model to a precached model on the map.
- Warning: Using an invalid value will instantly crash the game, this includes 0 and 1.
- Texture Frame
- The frame number for any animated textures on this entity.
- Model Scale
- A multiplier for the size of the model. Negative values are accepted. Does not alter the physics collisions in most cases, however. Not in , , , sdk 2013.
- Warning: Negative or extremely high values can cause crashes!
- Minimum CPU Level
- A user with a CPU level lower than this will not see this object rendered in-game. It's unclear how the CPU level is decided, but most systems are classified as "high".
- Maximum CPU Level
- 0: Default
- 1: Low
- 2: Medium
- 3: High
- Minimum GPU Level
- Maximum GPU Level
- 0: Default
- 1: Very low
- 2: Low
- 3: Medium
- 4: High
- Glow Backface Multiple
- If this object has a glow effect, multiply the effect by this much on the sides of the object that are facing away from the viewer.
- Move Type
- Sets a movetype for this entity, which changes its movement behavior.
- Collision Group
- Sets a collision group for this entity, which changes its collision behavior.
- No Animation Sounds
- Silences sounds linked to animations.
- Disable ShadowDepth
- Makes this entity not cast a shadow from
- Projected Texture Cache
- Used to hint projected texture system whether it is sufficient to cache shadow volume of this entity or to force render it every frame instead.
- 0: Default
- 1: No cache - render every frame
- 2: Cache it - render only once
- Disable Flashlight
- Used to disable projected texture lighting and shadows on this entity.
- The classname defines the type of entity. Classnames can be changed using
AddOutput, which will influence how the engine deals with the entity in certain circumstances.
- The name that other entities refer to this entity by.
- Global Entity Name
- Name by which this entity is linked to another entity in a different map. When the player transitions to a new map, entities in the new map with globalnames matching entities in the previous map will have the previous map's state copied over their state.
- Specifies a movement parent. An entity will maintain its initial offset from its parent. An attachment point can be added to the end of the name, separated by a comma. Every entity can be parented, even point entities. Entities which are parented will be forced to transition to the next map, such as from a
trigger_transition. Some entities which aren't intended to be parented may not function correctly.
phys_constraintcan be used as a workaround to parenting.
- Origin (X Y Z)
- The position of this entity's center in the world. Rotating entities typically rotate around their origin.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (X Y Z)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.Note: This works on brush entities, although Hammer doesn't show the new angles.
- Toggles features of an entity, its specific number is determined by the combination of flags added.
- Response Contexts
- Pre-defined response system contexts for this entity. Format is
key:value,key:value,.... Contexts may be filtered.
- Combination of effect flags to use.
- Local Time
- The local time of the entity, independent of the global clock. Used mainly for physics calculations.
- Next Think
- Amount of time before the entity thinks again.
- Hammer ID
- The entity's Hammer ID. Mainly used by plugins and debugging commands, such as
ent_keyvalue. Can be manually assigned with the "hammerid" or "id" keyvalue. Entities spawned at run-time are not assigned any Hammer ID.
- Disable for Xbox 360
- If Yes, disables this entity on the Xbox 360 version of Source.
- Entity Scripts
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Lag Compensation
- Set to Yes to lag compensate this entity. Should be used very sparingly!
- Is Automatic-Aim Target
- If set to 1, this entity will slow down aiming movement for consoles and joystick controllers when the entity is under the crosshairs.
64] : Use Hitboxes for Renderbox
256] : Start with collision disabled
16] : Break on Touch
32] : Break on Pressure
- Forces the prop to play the named animation.
- Changes the animation played when not in a random/forced sequence.
- Sets the framerate at which animations are played.
- Hides the prop through
Disableinput does the exact same thing.
- Shows the prop (by removing
Enableinput does the exact same thing.
- Tells the prop to no longer be solid.
- Tells the prop to become solid again.
- Force the prop to play an animation unless the prop is already playing the animation. The parameter should be the name of the animation.
- Fade out then remove this prop.
- Sets Physics Impact Damage Scale. 0 means this feature is disabled for backwards compatibility.
- Makes the breakable able to picked up by the gravity gun.
- Makes the breakable not able to picked up by the gravity gun.
- Allow this prop from playing its Punt Sound sound when punted by the gravity gun.
- Prevent this prop from playing its Punt Sound sound when punted by the gravity gun.
- Breaks the breakable.
- Sets a new value for the breakable's health. If the breakable's health reaches zero it will break.
- Adds health to the breakable.
- Removes health from the breakable.
- Selects a skin from the model's index, starting with 0.
- Sets the the active $bodygroup.
- Makes the entity catch on fire indefinitely.
- Makes the entity catch on fire for a given amount of time.
- Makes the entity catch on fire with a given number of hitbox fire particles. Does not function correctly in onward.
- Makes the entity catch on fire with a given scale for hitbox fire particles. Does not function correctly in onward.
- Kills the entity and creates a client-side ragdoll from the model. Input is only passed if the model contains $collisionjoints, for other models phys_convert can be used instead.
- Sets the entity's lighting origin to use this entity's position.
- Deprecated. Offsets the entity's lighting origin by their distance from an
- Sets distance at which the entity starts fading. If <0, the entity will disappear instantly when end fade is hit. The value will scale appropriately if the entity is in a 3D Skybox.
- Sets distance at which the entity ends fading. If <0, the entity won't disappear at all. The value will scale appropriately if the entity is in a 3D Skybox.
- Multiplies the size of the model. Does not alter the physics collisions in most cases. Can take two values separated by a space, in which case the first value would be the target model scale and the second value would be the number of seconds the change in scale will be spread over. If there is no second value, the model will scale instantly.
modelscalekeyvalue can be AddOutputed as a workaround for other games with this input missing.
Warning: Negative or extremely high values can cause crashes!
- Sets the entity's transparency to a number from 0 (invisible) to 255 (fully visible). Requires the entity to have its Render Mode (rendermode) set to a number other than
- Swaps the rendering order of the entity. Used to attempt to fix sorting problems when rendering, for example an object rendering in front of translucent materials.
- Sets an RGB color for the entity.
- Sets a filter for this entity for when it receives damage.
- Allows the entity to be pushed by damage done to it (usually force amount correlates with the damage done).
- Prevents the entity from being pushed by damage done to it.
- Allows the entity to draw a render target shadow.
- Prevents the entity from drawing a render target shadow.
EF_NODRAWfrom the entity.
EF_NODRAWto the entity. Note that this is different than
- Makes it so that the entity is lit by
- Prevents the entity from being lit by
env_projectedtextures. The shadow made by the texture will still cast.
- Makes the entity be rendered in reflections from water materials using
- Prevents the entity from rendering in fast reflections.
- Removes this entity and any entities parented to it from the world.
- Functions the same as
Kill, although this entity and any entities parented to it are killed on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Move with this entity. See Entity Hierarchy (parenting).
- Change this entity to attach to a specific attachment point on its parent. The entity will teleport so that the position of its root bone matches that of the attachment. Entities must be parented before being sent this input.
- As above, but without teleporting. The entity retains its position relative to the attachment at the time of the input being received.
- Removes this entity from the the movement hierarchy, leaving it free to move independently.
- Evaluates a keyvalue/output on this entity.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything. Can also be invoked by creating an output that does not specify an input.
This input is not included in Valve's FGDs.
- Dispatches a special effect from the entity's origin. Removed and replaced entirely by the particle system since .
- Dispatches a response to the entity. See Response and Concept.
- Adds to the entity's list of response contexts. Format is
- Remove a context from this entity's list. The name should match the key of an existing context.
- Removes all contexts from this entity's list.
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
- Set this entity's angles.
- Fired when an animation begins.
- Fired when an animation finishes.
- Fired when damage is taken.
- Fired when prop starts its
ACT_PHYSCANNON_ANIMATE_PREactivity. Caused by the object being picked up by the gravity gun.
- Fired when prop has started its
ACT_PHYSCANNON_ANIMATE_PREplays once, then
- Fired when prop has started its
ACT_PHYSCANNON_DETACHactivity (caused by the gravity gun ripping it from a wall).
- Fired when prop has started its
ACT_PHYSCANNON_ANIMATE_POSTactivity (caused by the player letting the prop go from the gravity gun).
- Fired when prop has finished all gravity gun-related animations.
- Fired when this object breaks.
!activatoris whatever breaks the object.
- Fired whenever the health of the breakable has increased or decreased. This output automatically puts the new health amount as a decimal percent (e.g. 45% = 0.45) into the parameter box for inputs, if the mapper does not override the parameter with something else.
- Fired when the entity catches fire, such as from an
- Fired when this entity is fizzled by a fizzler or any other means. (Except the
- These outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- This output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.