env_projectedtexture is a point entity available in all games since .
It projects a texture as a dynamic light that affects all objects in the world, optionally with Shadow Mapping. env_Projectedtexture does not light the world similarly that other light entities which are ray-traced when you compile the map. This light however is real-time and works without RAD.
CEnvProjectedTextureclass, defined in the
Caveats and Fixes
|The Volumetrics option in Strata Source is temporarily broken due to a missing shader||Strata Source||N/A||N/A|
|Valve's games only support one shadow map in the PVS at a time.||Official Source games/stock Source SDK Base 2013 code||It is possible to modify/remove this limit by following these instructions.||The following games/branches have exceptions to this:|
|Textures used for projected textures require the flags Clamp S, Clamp T and Clamp All to avoid glitchy tiling. Also note, that VTFs are used directly and no VMT is needed.||All Source games||N/A||N/A|
|Shadows are only rendered when the user is running with "High" shadow detail.
||All Source games except and .||If your options menu does not show the "High" shadow detail setting by default (especially all Intel graphics card), add
||All multiplayer Source games||N/A||By default these ConVars are disabled in Team Fortress 2, so this entity won't work there without special configuration|
|Viewmodels won't receive light or shadows from projected textures||All Source games except and||env_projectedtexture/fixes#Enabling shadow receiving on the view model|
|Some Nvidia graphics cards (especially with latest drivers and/or all newercards since around mid-late 2010s) render big/small white specks, squares or noises (and sometimes it's also flickering) on certain textures||Portal 2 and Garry's Mod, possibly all Source games[confirm].||Remove the bumpmap (
||Video of said bug.|
Also in GMOD (click to preview):
|While running in DirectX 9 mode, some graphics cards will not render shadows from
||Portal 2||Run the game in Vulkan mode with the launch parameter
||Also affects all DX9 based mods, fixed in and|
|Parenting does not work with stock SDK code||Source SDK Base 2013||Env_projectedtexture/fixes#Fixing Parenting||N/A|
|No smooth transition between this light and
||Portal 2 engine branch and CSGO branch||N/A||Fixed in Strata Source|
|Source 2007/2009 Bugs|
|The configurable texture value from Hammer is not accepted - will always default to the flashlight||Source 2007, Source 2009, Source Multiplayer||Use the
|This entity cannot target another entity||Source 2007, Source 2009, Source Multiplayer [confirm]||env_projectedtexture/fixes#Fixing targeting||N/A|
|Models will not receive their own shadows correctly||Source 2007, Source 2009, Source Multiplayer [confirm]||Create a bumpmap for the texture.
Even a flat bumpmap is sufficient, such as
|This entity will cause issues if the entity overlaps a portal in Portal||Portal||N/A|
- 1: Enabled
- 2: Always Update (moving light)
- The entity will rotate to point at this target. Make sure you check the Always update flag if you set this.
- The field of view cone/pyramid at which the texture is projected.
- Confirm:This keyvalue does not work in Alien Swarm.
- Objects closer than this will not receive the light from the projection.
- Objects beyond this distance will not receive the light from the projection.
- Enable Shadows
- Enables/disables shadows from this projected texture. 0 = no, 1 = yes.
- Shadow Quality
- Quality of shadows.
- 0: Low (sharp, pixelized shadows)
- 1: High (smooth edged shadows)
- Shadow Filter
- Changes the Shadow Filter parameter of the light, which is responsible for smoothing the light. Works only when enabled Always update flag.
- Light Only Target
- Limit flashlight effect to only affect target entity.
- Light World
- Control whether flashlight affects static world geometry. 0 = no, 1 = yes.
- Camera Space
- Angles are interpreted as being relative to camera.
- Texture Name
- The texture which this entity projects. Must be a VTF file (not VMT), relative to
- Simple Projection
- Indicates if this is a simple, non-light casting texture projection.
- Brightness Scale
- Scale the light color by this brightness.
- Color Transition Time
- Amount of time it takes for a color change to occur. Higher numbers cause faster transitions.
- Various Custom Appearance presets.
Light Appearances Literal Value Description Sequence Preview 0 Normal
10 Fluorescent flicker
2 Slow, strong pulse
11 Slow pulse, noblack
5 Gentle pulse
1 Flicker A
6 Flicker B
3 Candle A
7 Candle B
8 Candle C
4 Fast strobe
9 Slow strobe
12 !FGD Underwater light mutation
- Custom Appearance
- Set a custom pattern of light brightness for this light. Pattern format is a string of characters, where a is total darkness, z fully bright. i.e.
aaggnnttzzwould be a steppy fade in from dark to light.
- Default Appearance
- Light View Models
- Control whether flashlight effects view models.
- Light Not PVS Culled
- Disable PVS culling optimization for this light (you shouldn't do this unless it's explicitly causing problems).
- Volumetric Intensity
- Defines the intensity of the volumetrics. (Default is 1. Can go above; no strict limit)
- Turns on the texture.
- Turns off the texture.
- Sets FOV.
- Set the if shadows are enabled. 0 = no, 1 = yes.
- Sets the spotlight texture.
- Specify a new Target entity to point at.
- Sets Camera Space.
- Sets Light Only Target.
- Sets Light World. 0 = no, 1 = yes.
- Turn on per frame updating (for moving lights).
- Turn off per frame updating (for moving lights).
- Change the Light Color.
- Sets the brightness.
- Sets an Appearance. (see Appearance keyvalue above for possible values)
- Sets Custom Appearance. (see Custom Appearance keyvalue above)
- Sets NearZ.
- Sets FarZ.
- Set ambient. Confirm:Doesn't seem to do anything
- Enables or disables volumetrics.
- Sets the intensity of the volumetrics. (Default is 1. Can go above; no strict limit)
- Sets the brightness.
- These outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- This output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.