Elevator (Portal 2)
Elevators are used in Portal 2 to transition the player from level to level. They are not to be confused with the Disassembler, which took the players from level to level in coop. The elevators are present in Overgrown,Reconstructing,Clean and Wheatley themes.
- 1 Adding elevators to a map
- 2 Spawning without a potato (advanced)
- 3 Spawning without a potato (simple)
- 4 Spawning without a potato (simple #2)
- 5 Creating an underground elevator
- 6 Creating an underground elevator (simple)
- 7 Custom entrance and exit
- 8 See also
Adding elevators to a map
1. Select the entity tool, create a func_instance, and give it the fixup name "Arrival_Elevator" and the VMF file name "instances/turbine_elevator/arrival_elevator_a4_base.vmf"
2. To make things simpler, and to not have to create two func_instances and find the second one through all this mess, simply duplicate the "Arrival_Elevator" instance and place the copy exactly back on top of the original.
3. Double-click either one and change the name to "Arrival_Logic" with the VMF file name "instances/turbine_elevator/arrival_elevator_a4_logic.vmf"
You can use one of the other elevators to use a different theme; just make sure you have both the elevator and the logic instances.
4. Create one more func_instance entity anywhere; a convenient place is right behind the elevator model (but not inside the arrival elevator!). Name this one "Arrival_Departure_Trans" with the VMF file name "instances/transitions/arrival_departure_transition_ents.vmf". This instance covers the transition for both the Arrival AND Departure elevators, but does not cover the vmf's for the departure elevator(read below)
You were able to set the videos on the elevators by setting the variables in this instance before the DLC2 - update (Puzzlemaker) broke it. This is still possible, if you replace "<Your Steam Folder>\SteamApps\common\portal 2\portal2_dlc2\scripts\vscripts\video\video_splitter.nut" with "<Your Steam Folder>\SteamApps\common\portal 2\portal2\scripts\vscripts\video\video_splitter.nut" (remember to keep a backup of the script). With that change made, you'll be able to set arrival- and departure- videos, instead of a random one being chosen on upload; e.g. try setting $arrival_video to media/animalking.bik. For a complete list of available videos, see this page.
5. To create the exit elevator, simply repeat steps 1-3 but instead of "arrival_elevator" you will choose "instances/turbine_elevator/departure_elevator_a4_logic.vmf" and "instances/turbine_elevator/departure_elevator_a4_base.vmf" both of which are located in the same folder. Name these "Departure_Elevator" and "Departure_Logic" respectively.
Connection to the map
6. You will notice that sticking out of the middle of the elevators on one side is an extension that looks like a hallway. You must connect this passage to your map. A door would look good here.
Now your elevator is complete, congratulations!
Spawning without a potato (advanced)
1. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above.
2. At step 3, replace the instance "instances/turbine_elevator/arrival_elevator_a4_base.vmf" with "instances/turbine_elevator/arrival_elevator_base.vmf".
3. Double click on the instance and click on Edit Instance. Immediatly, save it under a new name ("my_arrival_elevator_base.vmf", for example) because we'll be doing some changes in it. Also, don't forget to modify the Vmf Filename of the instance in the main map.
4. Double click on the trigger_once named "elevator_1_interior_start_trigger" that cover the elevator model.
5. Go to the Outputs, and Copy the line with:
6. Delete that output line, and place a func_instance_io_proxy entity named "proxy" near the elevator model.
7. Go to the Outputs, and Paste the line copied before.
8. Change the "OnStartTouch" output to "OnProxyRelay". Save your instance.
9. Go back to your main map and create a info_player_start and a weapon_portalgun in the elevator (make sure that the player is not stuck in the elevator).
10. Create a trigger_once entity that covers the whole elevator model and info_player_start.
11. Add this Output:
12. Finally, save your map, compile it and it should works, if you did it correctly.
Spawning without a potato (simple)
1. Create a logic_playerproxy named player_settings.
2. Place a logic_auto somewhere in your map. Put it next to the logic_playerproxy so that you can find them both.
3. On the Output tab of logic_auto, add this output:
4. Finally, save your map, compile it and it should works, if you did it correctly.
Spawning without a potato (simple #2)
1. Create a trigger_weaponstrip at the bottom of the arrival elevator.
2. Place a portal gun above the trigger.
3. In the settings of the portal gun, adjust it to your preference (no potatoes or single portal only).
Creating an underground elevator
There's already a page for this, but it's incomplete and I think this tutorial belongs here.
1. Follow instructions above, but use instances/underground/test_dome_entrance_lift_01.vmf for the Arrival_Elevator and don't make Arrival_Logic.
2. In your elevator, make an info_player_start. If it won't work in the 3D view, make it in the 2D view and move it down so it touches the floor of the actual elevator. (NOT the shaft, the actual elevator itself.)
3. Create a logic_auto (or, if one already exists outside of an instance, use that). On the outputs tab, put the following output:
This will show up as invalid. It will still work. The "simple" instructions for changing the portalgun apply here. I'm not sure the "advanced" instructions do.
Creating an underground elevator (simple)
Go and open the vmf file maps\instances\underground\test_dome_entrance_lift_01.vmf Go and find the point_teleport enity called @test_dome_lift_entry_teleport and change its name to @arrival_teleport and save it and it will work.
Custom entrance and exit
If you wish for the player to spawn at a specific point create a point_teleport and name it @arrival_teleport and set the Entity to Teleport to "!player".
For a custom exit, add the following output to the trigger or other entity that ends your level.
If it says that the output is invalid ignore it.