func_instance is a internal point entity available in all Source games. It inserts an instance of another VMF file into the current one. You can translate and rotate the instance without breaking anything or creating an off-grid editing nightmare. By default, instances are drawn in Hammer with an orange tint, though this can be disabled in
Instancing > View Instances.
GameDatakey to gameinfo.txt, pointing to the game's FGD file.
GameDatakey. If any custom entities are being misplaced, this is the most likely cause.
Input through an instance
- Define a Fix Up Name.
- Define a value for the input or output you want to use (if there is one).
- Send an input to the targetname "fixupname-value", e.g. MyInstance-Start. Hammer's UI won't recognise the name, but don't worry.
- VMF Filename
- The VMF file to insert as an instance.
- Fix Up Name
- Essentially the name of the instance. All entities within it will have this string added to them based upon the fix up style. If no name is provided,
AutoInstanceXwill be used, where X is a number that is incremented with each instance.
@symbol e.g. @exit_door will not be changed by the instance name fix up. To do: only confirmed for Portal 2
- Entity Name Fix Up
- How to apply the fix up name.
- 0: Prefix (Default)
- 1: Postfix
- 2: None
- This is a replacement parameter. Any usage of
$variableinside the instance will be replaced with
<string $variable> <string value>. Example: $color 255 0 0.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.
- func_instance_parms - Entity to control parameters within instances.
- func_instance_io_proxy - Entity that is used as a proxy for entity I/O within instances.
- func_instance_origin - Helper entity that defines the center point of an instance.
- L4D2 Level Design/VMF Instances - A tutorial on how to use this entity in Left 4 Dead 2.