Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Authoring Tools
The Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Authoring Tools, also known as the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive SDK, is a set of software utilities that allow you to create your own levels, and other gameplay elements. They include versions of Source SDK tools that have been updated to work with the CS:GO version of the Source Engine.
The SDK is available on Steam to Counter-Strike: Global Offensive or Counter-Strike 2 owners with Prime Status running Windows. The Prime Status has to be bought through CS:GO (prior to Oct 2023), CS2 or Steam, or by having bought CS:GO before it became free to play (Dec 6, 2018). Players who have been awarded Prime from reaching rank 21 or higher are not given the SDK.
As of the CS:GO update in Oct 2023, under the
csgo_legacy branch, the option to purchase Prime Status directly from CS:GO has been removed, but it can still be purchased through CS2 or via it's Steam Store page.
After the release of, you are still able to download the CS:GO SDK, even if you already owned the free prime upgrade.
Downloading and Installation
- Open the Steam window.
- Click on the LIBRARY tab and then the TOOLS tab.
- Double-click on the Counter-Strike Global Offensive SDK entry.
- The CS:GO SDK will download to your computer via Steam.
- Once it has been fully installed, you will be able to launch it in the same way you installed it (from the Tools tab).
The package includes:
- Hammer, the Source level editor (Hammer v4.1, Build 9122)
- Suite of command line compiling utilities, such as
studiomdland map compiling tools
- Updated Face Poser (Valve Face Poser v1.0, Build Date: January 17, 2017)
- Example maps and Prefabs
Where do I go from here?
- If you want to learn about how to create content for the Source Engine in general, the main page of the Source SDK documentation is a good place to start.
- For tutorials on CS:GO Level Creation and how to use the Hammer Editor you can use the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Level Creation page.
- To avoid issues with launching the SDK or compatibility, Please ensure the CS:GO SDK is installed onto the same drive as Counter Strike Global Offensive.