sky_camerais a point entity available in all Source games. It is used to mark the position of the map's origin inside the 3D Skybox. As your position changes relative to the maps origin it will be scaled and applied relative to the
When the map is compiled, the areas containing
sky_camera(s) are skipped during vis calculations. This can be overridden by
-forceskyvis on VBSP.
By default, only one
sky_camera may be active at a time and it cannot move.
sky_cameraentities which can be restored in mods. Half-Life 2: Downfall has restored this feature and the work involved is open-source. Downfall's repository can be found here. Mapbase uses the aforementioned Downfall code and also adds native support for moving (and rotating) skyboxes. Mapbase's repository can be found here.
Note that the fog values on
sky_camera cannot be changed through inputs (unlike
env_fog_controller) and the max density keyvalue is missing from the FGD by default.
- The targetname that other entities refer to this entity by.
- 3D Skybox scale
- This number determines how large objects in your skybox will seem relative to the map. Take a skybox scale of 16, an object 1 unit high in the skybox will seem to be 16 units high to player.
- Fog Enable
- Enable Fog in the Skybox by Default
- Fog Blend
- This will enable blending between two fog colors, based on the direction the player is looking. If the player's viewpoint is equal to the fogdir vector, the fog will be drawn with the secondary color; if facing in the complete opposite direction, the fog will be drawn with the primary color.
This can be used to approximate the aesthetic effect of diffuse light filtering through the fog, but since the fog effect color is changed for the entire rendered scene, it is best to keep the two colors relatively close to make the blending less obvious.
For example, sunlight with a yaw of 45 degrees and a pitch of -45 degrees could be enhanced using a fogdir of '-1 -1 1', a fogcolor of '120 110 100' and a fogcolor2 of '80 70 60'.
- Use Angles for Fog Dir
- Primary Fog Color
- The Primary Color of the Fog in the Skybox
- Secondary Fog Color
- The Secondary Color of the Fog in the Skybox that will be blended to
- Primary Fog Dir
- A vector (given by three space-separated numbers X Y Z) which points from the secondary fog color fogcolor2 towards the primary fog color fogcolor.
- Fog Start
- How far from the point-of-view the fog should start. Generally, this should be the same setting as your env_fog_controller.
- Fog End
- How far from the point-of-view the view should be completely fogged. Generally, this should be the same setting as your env_fog_controller.
- Fog Max Density
- Fog Max Density [0..1].
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.
- Activates targeted sky_camera and disables rest.