- Cubemap Size
- The resolution of each face of the cubemap. Remember that the actual number of pixels stored will be your selection times six!
- Default (usually 32x32, depending on the game)
Comparison of reflection quality (1x1 is not included because it does not reflect at all):
- Brush faces
- An optional override for individual brush faces, forcing them to use this cubemap instead of one closest to them.
To select faces, press the "Pick" button then click on them in the 3D view. Hold to toggle a face on or off.
How to place cubemaps properly
- Place the env_cubemap in the center of the rooms you want it in (unless there is a reason not to, e.g if the cubemap will be placed inside a prop, or there is a better place to place it).
- Make a brush that is 64 units high and place it beside one of the env_cubemaps.
- Go top map->Entity Report and mark all your env_cubemap entities.
- When marked, move the one beside the brush you made upwards, until it reaches the top line of the brush.
- Delete the brush you made.
- Compile-> And in game open the console and type "buildcubemaps".
The map will now reload with the new cubemaps built. The reason you want to raise the cubemaps by 64 units is because this is the height that the players see in.