func_door_rotatingis a brush entity available in all Source games. It is a rotating brush that can be "opened" by players or NPCs.
The func_door_rotating entity can only rotate around either the x, y or z axis and no combination of the two other than x and y. By default, the entity is set to rotate on the Z-axis and can be changed through altering the flags section of the object properties.
Setting the OriginThe point of rotation can be changed through the alteration of the entities origin. The origin sets which point on the plane of movement the object will rotate through, think of it as a hinge for a door. With the show helpers option enabled in Hammer, the origin will appear as a small white circle in the center of the entity that can be dragged to a new location.
- Sometimes there are situations when for unknown reason lighting just doesn't show correctly on door model and all is "black" and you can't do anything with it (move brushes around the door to avoid clipping, check material model shader of it (it's fine), disable shadows, etc). There is a simple and effective way to fix it: just select all your level and move it! Vrad sometimes can make mistakes like this on static and dynamic objects and when you adjust position of your whole level, it will change this calculations and coordinates for lighting.
- Distance (distance)
- Degrees the door should rotate. It will rotate away from the player if
+used. Otherwise, direction is determined by if the value is negative or positive.
- Solid Type (solidbsp)
- How to calculate collisions. Set this to BSP if the player seems to rotate oddly relative to the surface.
- Linked Door (chainstodoor)
- Passes the door's
+useinputs and touch events onto a different door, so it also is activated.
- Block Filter Name (filtername)
- (For Half-Life: Source) Filter to use to determine entities that can block the door.
- Speed (speed)
- Speed that the door moves, in units (sliding door) or degrees (rotating door) per second.
- Start Sound (noise1)
- Sound to play when the door starts moving (regardless of opening or closing).
- Stop Sound (noise2)
- Sound to play when the door stops moving (regardless of opening or closing).
- Start Close Sound (startclosesound)
- Sound to play when the door starts closing.
- Stop Close Sound (closesound)
- Sound to play when the door stops closing.
- Delay Before Reset (wait)
- Time until the door returns to the closed position. A value of -1 means the door never auto-closes.
- Lip (lip)
- When the door opens, it will move its full length minus this many units. Negative values will make the door move that many more than its length.
- Blocking Damage (dmg)
- Amount of damage done to entities that block the movement of this door, per frame.
noclip, they will not be damaged.
- Force Closed (forceclosed)
- Makes the door close no matter what. Useful for doors that have to close even if the player tries to block them with objects.
- Ignore Debris (ignoredebris)
- Changes the door's collision group to
COLLISION_GROUP_INTERACTIVE, which ignores debris objects. Not compatible with the Non-solid to Player spawnflag as it also sets a collision group.
- Deprecated. Do not use.
Message If Triggered (message)
- Deprecated. Do not use.
- Locked Sound (locked_sound)
- Sound played when the player tries to open the door, and fails because it's locked.
- Unlocked Sound (unlocked_sound)
- Sound played when door is unlocked.
- Spawn Position (spawnpos)
- State the door should begin in.
- 0: Closed
- 1: Open
- Locked Sentence (locked_sentence)
- Intercom voiceline for when the player tries to use the door, but it's locked.
- Unlocked Sentence (unlocked_sentence)
- Intercom voiceline for when the door is unlocked.
- Loop Moving Sound? (loopmovesound)
- Makes the door's Start Sound loop until the door finishes moving.
- Minimum Light (_minlight)
- Minimum amount of light to hit this brush. 0 is none, 1 is normal, and 2 is doubled.
- Damage Filter Name (damagefilter)
- When this entity receives damage, it will filter by this entity.
- Render Mode (rendermode)
- Set a non-standard rendering mode on this entity.
- Render FX (renderfx)
- Preset pattern of appearance effects.
- To do: 18-21, 25
- Render FX / Transparency (0 - 255) (renderamt)
- Transparency amount, requires a Render Mode other than Normal. 0 is invisible, 255 is fully visible.
- Render Color (R G B) (rendercolor)
- Color tint.
- Shadow Cast Distance (shadowcastdist)
- Sets how far the entity casts dynamic shadows. 0 means default distance from the
- Shadows (vrad_brush_cast_shadows)
- Determines if this entity will cast lightmap shadows.
- 0: No shadows
- 1: Cast shadows
- Disable Shadows (disableshadows)
- Prevent the entity from creating cheap render-to-texture shadows. Does not affect shadow mapping.
- Disable Receiving Shadows (disablereceiveshadows)
- Prevent the entity from receiving shadows on itself.
- Texture Frame (texframeindex)
- The frame number for any animated textures on this entity.
- Minimum CPU Level (mincpulevel)
- A user with a CPU level lower than this will not see this object rendered in-game. It's unclear how the CPU level is decided, but most systems are classified as "high".
- Maximum CPU Level (maxcpulevel)
- 0: Default
- 1: Low
- 2: Medium
- 3: High
- Minimum GPU Level (mingpulevel)
- Maximum GPU Level (maxgpulevel)
- 0: Default
- 1: Very low
- 2: Low
- 3: Medium
- 4: High
- Minimum Bounding Box Size
- Co-ordinate of the minimum bounding box corner. The bounding box is drawn from this corner to the other one. Requires Bounding Box collisions (solid 2) to be used. Can be used to overwrite the collision shape of a brush, although it can only be a cuboid.
- Maximum Bounding Box Size
- Co-ordinate of the maximum bounding box corner. The bounding box is drawn from this corner to the other one. Requires Bounding Box collisions (solid 2) to be used. Can be used to overwrite the collision shape of a brush, although it can only be a cuboid.
- Method of collision for this entity.
- The classname defines the type of entity. Classnames can be changed using
AddOutput, which will influence how the engine deals with the entity in certain circumstances.
- The name that other entities refer to this entity by.
- Global Entity Name
- Name by which this entity is linked to another entity in a different map. When the player transitions to a new map, entities in the new map with globalnames matching entities in the previous map will have the previous map's state copied over their state.
- Specifies a movement parent. An entity will maintain its initial offset from its parent. An attachment point can be added to the end of the name, separated by a comma. Every entity can be parented, even point entities. Entities which are parented will be forced to transition to the next map, such as from a
trigger_transition. Some entities which aren't intended to be parented may not function correctly.
phys_constraintcan be used as a workaround to parenting.
- Origin (X Y Z)
- The position of this entity's center in the world. Rotating entities typically rotate around their origin.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (X Y Z)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.Note:This works on brush entities, although Hammer doesn't show the new angles.
- Toggles features of an entity, its specific number is determined by the combination of flags added.
- Response Contexts
- Pre-defined response system contexts for this entity. Format is
key:value,key:value,.... Contexts may be filtered.
- Combination of effect flags to use.
- Local Time
- The local time of the entity, independent of the global clock. Used mainly for physics calculations.
- Next Think
- Amount of time before the entity thinks again.
- Hammer ID
- The entity's Hammer ID. Mainly used by plugins and debugging commands, such as
ent_keyvalue. Can be manually assigned with the "hammerid" or "id" keyvalue. Entities spawned at run-time are not assigned any Hammer ID.
- Disable for Xbox 360
- If Yes, disables this entity on the Xbox 360 version of Source.
- Entity Scripts
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Lag Compensation
- Set to Yes to lag compensate this entity. Should be used very sparingly!
- Is Automatic-Aim Target
- If set to 1, this entity will slow down aiming movement for consoles and joystick controllers when the entity is under the crosshairs.
- 2: Reverse Dir - This door opens in the opposite direction.
- 16: One-way - This door only opens in one direction.
- 64: X Axis - This door rotates on the X axis.
- 128: Y Axis - This door rotates on the Y axis.
1: Starts Open- Obsolete. Door behaves more like the doors in Half-Life. Some outputs don't work.
- 4: Non-solid to Player - Sets the collision group to
COLLISION_GROUP_PASSABLE_DOOR, so the player cannot collide with it while other things can. This is not compatible with Ignore Debris as that also sets a collision group.
- 8: Passable - This door is solid to nothing at all.
- 32: Toggle - Inputs are interpreted as to change between open and shut. That is, inputs are interpreted as to open if the door is closed and to close if open, instead of the default behavior where inputs are always interpreted as to open. This overrides the delay before reset (wait) to -1 i.e. never reset.
- 512: NPCs Can't - NPCs can't open this door.
- 1024: Touch Opens - When a player or NPC touches the door, it will count as an attempt to open it.
- 2048: Starts locked - This door spawns locked and cannot be opened by the player or NPCs (but buttons can still trigger it)
- 4096: Door Silent - This door makes no noise.
- 65536: New
Userules !FGD - Door can only be used if it's not moving, is closing, or when it's open.
- Opens door.
- Closes door.
- Opens door if closed, closes door if opened.
- Prevent door from opening, but can still close.
- Allow door to operate as normal.
- Sets Speed.
- Sets the entity's transparency to a number from 0 (invisible) to 255 (fully visible). Requires the entity to have its Render Mode (rendermode) set to a number other than
- Swaps the rendering order of the entity. Used to attempt to fix sorting problems when rendering, for example an object rendering in front of translucent materials.
- Sets an RGB color for the entity.
- Sets a filter for this entity for when it receives damage.
- Allows the entity to be pushed by damage done to it (usually force amount correlates with the damage done).
- Prevents the entity from being pushed by damage done to it.
- Allows the entity to draw a render target shadow.
- Prevents the entity from drawing a render target shadow.
EF_NODRAWfrom the entity.
EF_NODRAWto the entity. Note that this is different than
- Makes it so that the entity is lit by
- Prevents the entity from being lit by
env_projectedtextures. The shadow made by the texture will still cast.
- Makes the entity be rendered in reflections from water materials using
- Prevents the entity from rendering in fast reflections.
- Removes this entity and any entities parented to it from the world.
- Functions the same as
Kill, although this entity and any entities parented to it are killed on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Move with this entity. See Entity Hierarchy (parenting).
- Change this entity to attach to a specific attachment point on its parent. The entity will teleport so that the position of its root bone matches that of the attachment. Entities must be parented before being sent this input.
- As above, but without teleporting. The entity retains its position relative to the attachment at the time of the input being received.
- Removes this entity from the the movement hierarchy, leaving it free to move independently.
- Evaluates a keyvalue/output on this entity.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything. Can also be invoked by creating an output that does not specify an input.
This input is not included in Valve's FGDs.
- Dispatches a special effect from the entity's origin. Removed and replaced entirely by the particle system since .
- Dispatches a response to the entity. See Response and Concept.
- Adds to the entity's list of response contexts. Format is
- Remove a context from this entity's list. The name should match the key of an existing context.
- Removes all contexts from this entity's list.
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
- Set this entity's angles.
- Fired when the door starts to close.
- Fired when the door starts to open.
- Fired when the door finishes closing. Reversed if Start Open flag is set.
- Fired when the door finishes opening. Reversed if Start Open flag is set.
- Fired when the door has been blocked from closing.
!activatoris whatever blocks the door.
- Fired when the door has been blocked from opening.
!activatoris whatever blocks the door.
- Fired when the door is no longer blocked from closing.
- Fired when the door is no longer blocked from opening.
- Fired when the player tries to open the door but fails because it is locked.
- These outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- This output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.