Creating a moving platform
This tutorial covers the creation of a moving platform in Portal.
1. The first step is to insert the model of the platform. Create a prop_dynamic with the following settings:
Property Name Value World Model models/props/light_rail_platform.mdl Name platform1_model Parent platform1_train
2. The platform model does not have glass in it; this must be created manually. Create a brush that is 120x120x2 with the texture glass/glasswindow_frosted_004. Place it inside the platform model so that it lines up perfectly with the edges (you may need to set the grid scale to 2 or 1 temporarily). Tie it to a func_tracktrain with these settings:
Property Name Value Name platform1_train Height above track 0 Change angles never Move sound Portal.horizontal_lift_move Volume 2 Max pitch 100 Min pitch 80 First stop target platform1_s1 Max speed 40 Initial Speed 40
- Also, ensure no user control is checked.
Property Name Value Name platform1_core Parent platform1_train Pitch Yaw Roll 90 0 0 Scale .5
- Set the flag to start on if desired.
1. Create a path_track, center it in the very center of platform1_train. This will be the starting waypoint for the path the platform follows. Set these values:
Property Name Value Name platform1_s1 Next stop target platform1_s2 Orientation type no change
- Set the flag teleport to this path_track if you have a one direction system.
- Also set these outputs:
2. Create as many path_track entities as desired. Ensure they stay the same height, and follow the same numbers. Also make sure the last path_track 's keyvalue Next stop target points back to the first path_track if the platform is intended to travel in a loop.
3. Compile and test the map before continuing.
The Energy Rail
1. Create a brush 12x2 and set it around the path. Texture it with effects/light_rail_beam1. Turn it to a func_brush with these settings:
Property Name Value Fx color 225 252 253 Solidity Never Solid
2. Place info_targets at each bend or end of the rail brushes. The active energy rail beam effect will travel between these targets. Name them something like platform1_target1, platform1_target2, etc.
3. Create an env_beam for each straight section of track. Set the following:
Property Name Value Beam color 38 50 68 Brightness 255 Ending entity (your info_target) Life 0 Name platform1_beam Render FX Fast Wide Pulse Sprite name materials/Effects/laser1.vmt Start entity (your info_target) Texture scroll rate 2 Width 4
Set it to start on.
1. Add props at the end of the rails. Also under the corners. These decorative props will appear to be creating and directing the energy rail beam.
- Some props are :
2. Add an env_citadel_energy_core that points at the base of the prop. Set these to start on with a scale of .5
1. To enable the train use these outputs:
- Example map Example map using this tutorial. VMF included.