From Valve Developer Community
Spawns a class of NPC at its position when told to. Typically used to provide a continuous wave of attackers during an ambush, or to replace killed enemies in a standoff-type situation.For more control over the properties of the spawned NPCs, see the npc_template_maker point entity which uses 'template' NPCs as a base, or the point_template entity which is more suited for spawning an entire squad into the appropriate positions.
Note:Some keyvalues, flags, inputs, or outputs might not affect an NPC, based on the functionality and coding of the NPC.
- Num. of NPCs
- Number of NPCs that will spawn before this spawner is exhausted.
- How often (in seconds) a new NPC will be spawned. If set to -1, a new NPC will be made when the last NPC dies.
- Max Live NPCs
- Maximum number of live children allowed at any one time (new ones will not be made until one dies). If set to -1, no limit is applied.
- Entity Scripts
<scriptlist>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.
- Start Disabled (StartDisabled)
- Stay dormant until activated (probably with the
- Values for
- Class name of spawned NPC
- Class of all NPCs spawned by this entity.
- What weapon each NPC should spawn with. Choices are:
- 16 : Fade Corpse
- 32 : Infinite Children
- 64 : Do Not Drop
- 128 : Don't Spawn While Visible
- 1024: Don't use dynamic difficulty (Only in Sin Episodes)
- Spawns an NPC.
- Toggles the spawner enabled/disabled state.
- Enables the spawner.
- Disables the spawner.
- Adds to the number of NPCs that can spawn before the spawner is exhausted. If an exhausted spawner is given some children to spawn, it still wont begin spawning until it is re-enabled with the
- Sets the number of NPCs that can spawn before the spawner is exhausted. If an exhausted spawner is given some children to spawn, it still won't begin spawning until it is re-enabled with the
- Sets the maximum number of NPCs that can be alive at any one time from this spawner.
- Sets how often (in seconds) a new NPC will be spawned.
- Removes this entity and any entities parented to it from the world.
- Functions the same as
Kill, although this entity and any entities parented to it are killed on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Evaluates a keyvalue/output on this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything. Can also be invoked by creating an output that does not specify an input.
This input is not included in Valve's FGDs.
<script>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2) !FGD
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
<coordinates>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
<angles>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's angles.
- Enable/disable this entity from performing its task. It might also disappear from view.
- Fired when an NPC is spawned. The activator is the NPC, and the string is the name of the NPC.
- Fired when the spawned is exhausted (all children have been spawned).
- Fired when the spawner is exhausted (all children have been spawned) and all spawned children have died.
- Fired when all spawned children have died. This does not mean the spawned is exhausted, so a new child may be spawned any time after this (unless the maker is disabled).
- These Outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
OnKilled(Only in the Left 4 Dead series)
- This Output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.