From Valve Developer Community
npc_template_makeris a point entity available in all Source games. It is used for spawning clones of particular template NPCs when triggered, either to provide enemies for an ambush or to replace killed enemies in a standoff-type situation. For a simpler version which doesn't use template entities, see the npc_maker entity, or alternatively see the point_template entity which is more suited for spawning an entire squad into the appropriate positions.
For this to work, the target NPC must be marked as a template NPC. The easiest way to do this is to set the "Template NPC" spawnflag on the NPC.
- Name of template NPC
- Template NPC that this maker should be creating clones of.
- Radius around this maker within which NPCs are to be placed. Spawned NPCs will try and find empty space within this radius to spawn.
- Name of Destination Group
- If you'd like spawned NPCs to be created at an info_npc_spawn_destination entity, enter the name of that entity here. If you have more than one destination entity by that name, the Destination Criteria will be used to select one from the group.
- Dest. Criterion
- Visible to player?
- Should the NPC try to spawn at a destination that the player can see? Only applicable if a Destination Group is being used.
- 0 : Yes
- 1 : No
- 2 : Don't Care
- Dest. Criterion
- Distance to player?
- Should the NPC try to spawn nearest to or farthest from the player's current location? Only applicable if a Destination Group is being used.
- 0 : Nearest
- 1 : Farthest
- 2 : Don't Care
- Minimum spawn distance from player
- The spawn destination node distance to the player will have to be further or equal than this value.Note:This parameter is ignored if the above "Distance to player" criteria is set to "Don't Care."
- Num. of NPCs
- Number of NPCs that will spawn before this spawner is exhausted.
- How often (in seconds) a new NPC will be spawned. If set to -1, a new NPC will be made when the last NPC dies.
- Max Live NPCs
- Maximum number of live children allowed at any one time (new ones will not be made until one dies). If set to -1, no limit is applied.
- Entity Scripts
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.
- Start Disabled (StartDisabled)
- Stay dormant until activated (probably with the
- 256 : Always use radius spawn
- 512 : Don't preload template models
- 16 : Fade Corpse
- 32 : Infinite Children
- 64 : Do Not Drop
- 128 : Don't Spawn While Visible
- 1024: Don't use dynamic difficulty
- Spawn an NPC somewhere within the maker's radius.
- Spawn an NPC somewhere within a line behind the maker.
- Spawn multiple NPCs (uses destination group, else radius).
- Switch to a different set of Destination entities.
- Set the minimum spawn distance from player to destination node.
- Spawns an NPC.
- Toggles the spawner enabled/disabled state.
- Enables the spawner.
- Disables the spawner.
- Adds to the number of NPCs that can spawn before the spawner is exhausted. If an exhausted spawner is given some children to spawn, it still wont begin spawning until it is re-enabled with the
- Sets the number of NPCs that can spawn before the spawner is exhausted. If an exhausted spawner is given some children to spawn, it still won't begin spawning until it is re-enabled with the
- Sets the maximum number of NPCs that can be alive at any one time from this spawner.
- Sets how often (in seconds) a new NPC will be spawned.
- Removes this entity from the world.
- Removes this entity and its children from the world. Note:Entities already remove orphaned children upon being removed, but this input removes all children on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Adds a keyvalue/output to this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything depending on the entity. Can also be invoked by firing an output that does not specify an input.
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
- Set this entity's angles.
- Enable/disable this entity from performing its task. It might also disappear from view.
- Fired when an NPC is spawned. The activator is the NPC, and the string is the name of the NPC.
- Fired when the spawned is exhausted (all children have been spawned).
- Fired when the spawner is exhausted (all children have been spawned) and all spawned children have died.
- Fired when all spawned children have died. This does not mean the spawned is exhausted, so a new child may be spawned any time after this (unless the maker is disabled).
- These outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- This output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.