info_node is a point entity available in all Source games.
- Ground nodes fall to the ground when they spawn, so you can place them up to 128 units above any solid world geometry, which excludes func_brush, and they will still work.
- When placing nodes on displacements, place them slightly above the terrain to ensure connections are properly made. Use the Transform tool (Ctrl+M) to move many nodes quickly.
Create an interesting map, place some enemies in it, and run it. Don't kill them straight away but turn on mat_wireframe and watch their actions as you move around. You'll see them, more or less, run straight at you and shoot. This is because they have no bearings in the world other than your position.
Leave the game and lay down info_node entities across the map, preferably at each point where the AI would have to choose what to do, or anywhere the AI might want to go - basically, any important place for the AI. Then recompile and do the same as last time. You should now see them group and attack together if they need to, seek cover, throw grenades at far more suitable times, try to get around you and more - all because you added a few nodes.
This alone has fully set up your AI for a map.
- The targetname that other entities refer to this entity by.
- Entity Scripts
<scriptlist>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Node ID
- Read-only internal Hammer value.
- 1 : Force human permission
- 2 : Force small_centered permission
- 4 : Force wide_human permission
- 8 : Force tiny permission
- 16 : Force wide_short permission
- 32 : Force medium permission
- 64 : Force tiny_centered permission
- 128 : Force large permission
- 256 : Force large_centered permission
- 512 : Keep editor position
- Removes this entity from the world.
- Removes this entity and all its children from the world.
- Evaluates a keyvalue/output on this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything. Can also be invoked by creating an output that does not specify an input.
This input is not included in Valve's FGDs.
<script>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug:Warning:Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2) !FGD
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity. Note:This input is missing from some games FGD files.
<origin>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's origin in the map. Note:This input is missing from some games FGD files.
<angles>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's angles in the map. Note:This input is missing from some games FGD files.
- These Outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
(New with Left 4 Dead)
- This Output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.