Pervasive. Literary. Brutal. Experimental.
MINERVA is not a conventional modification, but was instead an ongoing, episodic series of single-player Half-Life 2 maps under development by Adam Foster. The mod was suspended when Adam was hired by Valve.
The maps are linked by a common plotline, based in the Half-Life 2 universe but with ... extensions. Significantly influenced by games such as the Marathon and System Shock series, each map will feature enigmatic directions and instructions from an unknown third party, continuous with the well-received Half-Life map Someplace Else.
The first full chapter, Metastasis, was completed on October 1, 2007. It requires Half-Life 2: Episode One to play and contains five maps, including updated versions of the two originally released on September 2, 2005 and the second on March 3, 2006. Updates include improved graphics, AI, scripting and HDR lighting.
On April 30, 2013, an edition of Metastasis with improved visuals, gameplay and puzzles was uploaded to Steam; this 'director's cut' edition replaces all previous releases. It requires that you own Half-Life 2: Episode One to play.
- MINERVA on Steam - click on PLAY GAME to install this free mod.
Language packs for French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian and Spanish, provided by the LocWorks localization team, are included by default. Set your Steam language as required before starting MINERVA.
- Development blog
- Forum - plot speculation, gameplay discussion, troubleshooting and walkthroughs
- Steam store page
- Ten Four Maps review (giving it their renowned Gold Award)
- Rock, Paper, Shotgun review
- Wikipedia:MINERVA (video game)
- LocWorks, the team which provided the various language packs (formerly the Sarmatia Project)
- Joseph Toscano: composer of additional music for MINERVA.