This article is a stub. You can help by adding to it.
For a description of what a Console Variable is, see Commands and variables.
ConVar( const char *pName, const char *pDefaultValue, int flags, const char *pHelpString, bool bMin, float fMin, bool bMax, float fMax );
The default value given as the second argument of the ConVar constructor is not the value set. To set a value, use:
- Variables that you wish to be saved should be marked with flag FCVAR_ARCHIVE. These will be saved with the user bindings in
config.cfg. Any cheat ConVar should not be archived.
- After whatever flags you may want to add (or 0 if you don't want any), you can set a help string. This will display when someone enters in the ConVar without any value or if they enter an invalid value. You can use \n to make a new line and use spaces after that to indent lines. Make your help-strings as rich and detailed as you want!
- Use the flag FCVAR_CHEAT to signify a ConVar that can only be used when sv_cheats is turned on.
- Use the flag FCVAR_REPLICATED to signify a server variable which is then replicated onto clients. For example, round timers or game rules should have this flag.
- For multiplayer games, use FCVAR_NOTIFY to send a message in chat whenever this variable is changed. Use this for ConVars that change game mechanics.
For more tips using ConVar flags, see this page.