Authoring Tools/SDK (Alien Swarm)
From Valve Developer Community
The Alien Swarm Authoring Tools, also known as an SDK, is a set of software utilities that allow you to create your own missions, weapons, aliens and other gameplay elements. They include versions of Source SDK tools that have been updated to work with the Alien Swarm version of the Source Engine.
The Alien Swarm Authoring Tools are freely available on Steam to all owners of the PC version of Alien Swarm.
Downloading and installation
To install the Alien Swarm Authoring Tools, either click here or:
- Restart Steam if it's currently running.
- Open the Steam window.
- Click on the LIBRARY tab and then the TOOLS tab.
- Double-click on the Alien Swarm - SDK entry.
- The Alien Swarm SDK and Authoring Tools will download to your computer via Steam.
- Once it has been fully installed, you will be able to launch it in the same way you installed it (from the Tools tab).
If you haven't installed it previously, you will need to install the Source SDK entry. You can install it the same way.
You can also create a desktop shortcut by right-clicking on the Alien Swarm Authoring Tools entry and clicking Create desktop shortcut from the context menu.
The package includes:
- Updated Hammer, the Source level editor
- Suite of command line compiling utilities, such as
studiomdland map compiling tools
- Updated Particle editor
- Updated Faceposer
- Example campaign
- Tutorial maps
- C++ source code to the Alien Swarm client and server dlls.
Where do I go from here?
- To learn how to make a custom campaign addon go here: Swarm Campaign Add-on Tutorial
- The Swarm Mapping basics is a good place to go if you are familiar with Source mapping already. If not, you will need to master the basics of Source level design first (Level Design).
- Another good way to start creating your own levels is using the SketchUp Source Tools.
- If you want to learn about how to create content for the Source Engine in general, the main page of the Source SDK documentation is a good place to start.
Bugs and issues
- Post all issues and bugs in the Steampowered.com Forums.
- See the Source SDK FAQ for answers to general SDK questions.
- For level design and Hammer editor issues, see the Level Design FAQ.