Testing Portal 2 Co-Op Maps Alone
This is a guide on how you can test co-op maps alone utilizing the splitscreen capabilities of the Source engine. This also works for any existing coop maps. It does not require any modifications to the map file itself.
This does not cover the requirements for making a coop level in the first place.
Loading the Map
mapnamein splitscreen 2-player mode. Analogous to
mapin singleplayer. Like
map, it is not required to add the trailing .bsp.
- Changes the splitscreen mode.
ss_splitmode 0: Use recommended settings based on width
ss_splitmode 1: Top-and-bottom split
ss_splitmode 2: Side-by-side split
If your map is stuck at the loading screen, try to shorten the vmf filename and recompile.
If you run dual monitors and want to split to each monitor, follow this guide
Controlling the second player
If you could actually play the coop map entirely as one player, it wouldn't be a very cooperative map. These are some ways you can control the second player.
- Take over the second player. All movement and other keybindings will be as if the second player used them. Requires cheats to be enabled.
sv_cheats 1: Turn on cheats
in_forceuser 0: Control player #1 (Atlas)
in_forceuser 1: Control player #2 (P-Body)
To make this easy to use, set a keybinding for it:
BindToggle "z" in_forceuser
- Swaps you between first and second player when you push "z".
Bind "z" "-moveleft; -moveright; -use; -forward; -back; -attack; -attack2; toggle in_forceuser".
Use a controller
This is actually more complicated than it sounds unless you have two controllers available. Source will map actions of the first detected controller to the first player and there doesn't seem to be any way to override this. The workaround is to either have two actual controllers or use trickery to make your computer think it has two controllers.
More information for this can be found on the Steam forums.
This allows you to use the extra sets of linked portals without actually changing characters.
- Changes portals fired to belong to the specified character or team.
change_portalgun_linkage_id 0: Single-player
change_portalgun_linkage_id 1: Blue
change_portalgun_linkage_id 2: Orange
change_portalgun_linkage_id [3-9]: Extra / Reserved
Other useful console commands
- Executes command as if typed by the second player.
cmd2 name Player2: Sets the name of the second player
- Makes the first player fullscreen if enable is 1, hiding the second player's view.
- There doesn't appear to be a way to do this with the second player, nor does holding Tab to show partner view (+remote_view) work.