- These constraints do not inhibit Source modding in any way.
Is there a SMD export plugin for PLE edition? -n-neko 22:30, 17 Nov 2005 (PST)
Yeah. It comes with the Source SDK. --Lunchtimemama 01:29, 18 Nov 2005 (PST)
- Thanks, I thought PLE can't use normal Maya plugin(exception: UT2003,2004 plugin that are wriiten for PLE). Nice tutorial explaining necessary script edits:) It's good to see enough starting point tutorials(especially importing/exporting) for each 3d package, and I hope there will be more .qc file tutorials: we have to face it anyway regardless of what 3d package we choose. - n-neko 03:40, 18 Nov 2005 (PST)
- As far as I can determine, this information is out of date. I've updated the page to reflect the change, but there is always the possibility that my own information is incorrect. If anyone has successfully exported .smd files from the Maya PLE please update this page and provide a link to an up-to-date tutorial. Yithian 08:33, 8 May 2008 (PDT)
- I´d like to use Valves´ Maya SMD Exporter, but found very few documents especially for Character/Facials and e.g. difference "Valve SMD Animated Model" <-> "Valve SMD Animation". Would be GREAT if someone could help-Please!
This is an all out request to get more tutorials on using Maya for Steam mods. I am shocked that among the communtiy there are only 2 tutorails on the subject. Our team is trying to build a cs map and the export to Hammer isnt even working with a simple cube. Please could we get some help or atleast direct me to a site that gives better instructions. Also why can't I get the signature and time button to work even though I edited my prefs? - [user:verify] 12:21, 7 Feb 2006 (PST)
- Softimage | XSI Mod Tool, is the most popular studio for HL2 editing as it has the pre written exporters an importers plus full documentation already and a large comunity base. So it doesn't surprise me that with a good studio like that the others are left out in the cold.
- Now as for your actual problem that comes from a very deep misunderstanding you have. Modeling studio aren't for level design with the source engine, its got nothing to do with steam, steam is only the distribution system. Levels must be made out of convex objects that conforms to sets of rules, modeling studios allow more flexibility than a level can physically handel. Also file formats, the things your poiting at only export .SMD, thats for modeling purposes only and must be compiled into a .MDL with a .qc through studiomdl. What you need for level design purposes is a VMF file. Heres A good reference on file types and needs. --Angry Beaver 11:17, 28 Apr 2007 (PDT)
Prop Exporting Tutorial
I changed the URL of my Prop Exporting Tutorial since I moved to a new server. Anybody who knows of other places this is linked, please go and update those as well.
The information connecting Maya to Source modding seems to be seriously out of date. Anyone who has any up-to-date information about using Maya to create models for Half-life 2, especially about using the latest Maya PLE (which is now at 8.5?) should take a stab at updating this. For example: is it possible to use the latest PLE to create models? Or is an older version required? Are there new plugins available? I'm not an expert on this area, I just happened to notice these potential issues while editing the tools sections. Yithian 13:03, 24 Apr 2008 (PDT)
- See the comment above under 'Plugins'. Yithian 08:33, 8 May 2008 (PDT)
Palmer's Maya Prop Tutorial
I am receiving the following error when attempting to compile using Palmer's tutorial:
//Error: Unable to open C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/SourceMods/Test/model_sources/cube.mp for write
I appreciate any feedback on this subject as I am new to modeling and Maya modeling for Source seems to be lacking in documentation. Yithian 15:25, 4 May 2008 (PDT)
- I believe I've determined the source of this error which is: the Maya PLE cannot export files and can only save them in its native .mp format. See the article page for details and my comment above under 'Plugins' for the rationale. Yithian 08:33, 8 May 2008 (PDT)
L4D2 Notes on runmaya.bat
This points to a thread which is showing up as no longer available. Maybe it has been moved? Taralqua
Maya crashes when exporting as animated SMD
Everytime I try to export an animated SMD or export an animation, Maya crashes and brings up the "report error" window. I'm using Maya 2009, and the plug-ins that come with Source SDK in the sourcesdk/maya/2009 folder. Furthermore, Maya also crashes when I try to load the vsMaster.mll plugin, but I recall it has always done that for me, and I was still able to export animated models about a year ago. --Pandaboy 03:10, 22 June 2013 (PDT)