From Valve Developer Community
Attempting to use Studiomdl or a shortcut of it pinned to the taskbar in Windows 8 will result in an invalid target path even when -game and an associated path is specified. However using a shortcut on the desktop still works. This is an issue on Microsoft's end unfortunately.
- For a guide to studiomdl's usage, see Compiling a model.
It can be found at
Tip:The name "studio" is a throwback to the development of Half-Life 1, during which Valve used 3D Studio Max to create their models.
The only parameter required is a QC file. Any others must come before it.
studiomdl [options] <path\QC>
- Override system-wide game path.
- Theoretically suppresses console output. In practice does nothing.
- Enable Xbox 360 output (OB).
- Disable Xbox 360 output (Ep1).
- Disable warnings.
- See $definebone.
- Writes extra bone info to the console.
- Writes some kind of animation weight graph to the console.
- Equivalent to specifying $unlockdefinebones in QC.
- Don't truncate really big collision meshes (Ep1 only; OB uses $maxconvexpieces).
- Ignore all $lod commands.
- Throw away data from LODs above the given one (see $minlod).
- Report performance info in console.
- Report performance info for an already-compiled model. A QC file is not needed when using this command.
- Report performance info as a comma-delimited spreadsheet. To do: Usage
- Dumps various glview files (10 per LOD per VTX file),
- Dump hitboxes to console,
- Tag bad normals.
- Dump names of used materials to the console.
- Ignore warnings.
- Replaces all materials with the default pink check pattern
- Auto-smooth faces equal to or below specified angle. Will override normal data for all meshes.
- Flip all triangles.
- Bug:Does not work in Orangebox and later builds of Studiomdl.
- "Tag reversed"..?
- Generate stripping information .vsi file. Works with QC and MDL. (Some sort of memory optimisation function? Possibly related to Xbox 360.)
- Process binary model files (VSI?) and strip extra lod data.
- Strip hardware verts to match the stripped model.
- Suppresses the "Unable to load module p4lib.dll!" warning, but what is it trying to load it for in the first place?
- Skeleton, animations, bounding/hit boxes, surface materials, LOD index...
- Vertex data optimised for DirectX 7, 8 and 9 respectively
- Remaining hardware-agnostic vertex data, including the UV map
- Collision mesh data
The input files may be smd or dmx. With the latest update, CS:GO studiomdl version supports FBX files.
- Common Studiomdl errors
- Studiocompiler, a graphical interface for studiomdl
- GUIStudioMDL, another graphical interface
- Source Model Compiler, a web based model compiler and QC generator.