From Valve Developer Community
An entity that controls the drawing of a sprite in the world, created clientside so cannot be parented to moving things and will use up no network bandwidth or CPU. (Doesn’t use edicts)
- Rate at which the sprite should animate, if at all.
- Sprite Name
- Material of the sprite to be drawn.
- Size of Glow Proxy Geometry.
- Size of the glow to be rendered for visibility testing. Must be larger than the distance from the sprite center to empty space. So if this glow is inside geometry (like a light bulb), set this value to be bigger than the bulb's radius. Any time a sphere of this radius would be visible (poking through any nearby geometry), the glow will be rendered.
- HDR color scale.
- float value to multiply sprite color by when running in HDR mode.
- Entity Scripts
<scriptlist>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Render Mode (rendermode)
- Set a non-standard rendering mode on this entity.
- Render FX / Transparency (0 - 255) (renderamt)
- Transparency amount, requires a Render Mode other than Normal. 0 is invisible, 255 is fully visible.
- Render Color (R G B) (rendercolor)
- Color tint.
- Disable Receiving Shadows (disablereceiveshadows)
- Prevent the entity from receiving shadows on itself.
- Render FX (renderfx)
- Preset pattern of appearance effects.
- Minimum DX Level (mindxlevel)
- Maximum DX Level (maxdxlevel)
- The entity will not exist if the engine is running outside the given range of DirectX Versions. Only used by Orange Box and 2013 SDK games.
- Warning: If these are used, the object may break when the user switches their DirectX settings.
- Default (no bounding)
- DX9 SM2
- DX9 SM3
- 1 : Start on
- 2 : Play Once
- Removes this entity and any entities parented to it from the world.
- Functions the same as
Kill, although entities with a large number of children are killed marginally faster.
- Evaluates a keyvalue/output on this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything. Can also be invoked by creating an output that does not specify an input.
This input is not included in Valve's FGDs.
<script>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2) !FGD
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity. Note:This input is missing from some games FGD files.
<origin>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's origin in the map. Note:This input is missing from some games FGD files.
<angles>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's angles in the map. Note:This input is missing from some games FGD files.
- Move with this entity. See Entity Hierarchy (parenting).
- Change this entity to attach to a specific attachment point on its parent. The entity will teleport so that the position of its root bone matches that of the attachment. Entities must be parented before being sent this input.
- As above, but without teleporting. The entity retains its position relative to the attachment at the time of the input being received.
- Removes this entity from the the movement hierarchy, leaving it free to move independently.
- Sets the entity's transparency to a number from 0 (invisible) to 255 (fully visible). Requires the entity to have its Render Mode (rendermode) set to a number other than
- Sets an RGB color for the entity.
- These Outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
OnKilled(New with Left 4 Dead)
- This Output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.
@PointClass base(Targetname, Parentname, RenderFields,DXLevelChoice) size(-2 -2 -2, 2 2 2) sprite() color(20 140 20) = env_sprite_clientside : "An entity that controls the drawing of a sprite in the world, created clientside so cannot be parented to moving things and will use up no network bandwidth or CPU." [ framerate(string) : "Framerate" : "10.0" : "Rate at which the sprite should animate, if at all." model(sprite) : "Sprite Name" : "sprites/glow01.spr" : "Material of the sprite to be drawn." scale(string) : "Scale" : "" : "Scale multiplier of the sprite." spawnflags(flags) = [ 1: "Start on" : 0 2: "Play Once" : 0 ] GlowProxySize(float) : "Size of Glow Proxy Geometry." : "2.0" : "Size of the glow to be rendered for visibility testing. Must be larger than the distance from the sprite center to empty space. So if this glow is inside geometry (like a light bulb), set this value to be bigger than the bulb's radius. Any time a sphere of this radius would be visible (poking through any nearby geometry), the glow will be rendered." HDRColorScale(float) : "HDR color scale." : "1.0" : "float value to multiply sprite color by when running in HDR mode." ]