From Valve Developer Community
env_hudhint is a point entity available in all Source games. It is used to control the display of HUD hints, which show the player what key is bound to a particular command.
It seems that this entity has some difficulties to work correctly for raw text under Counter-Strike Source. It will not show the text unless the player is at the origin of the I/O chain. For example, if a player touches a trigger_multiple who trigger the env_hudhint, it will works but if a logic_auto would have been used to trigger it, it would not. Keep in mind that the env_hudhint will show his text only to player(s) who trigger it. In other word, the !activator must be the player.
- Hint Text (localized)
- This should be match a HUD hint entry in
hl2\resource\valve_english.txtor its localized equivalent. Example: entering "#Valve_Hint_Zoom" will display the following hint text: "%+zoom% ZOOM VIEW", with %+zoom% being the key currently bound to the zoom function.Warning:Entering an unlocalized text as a hint will work, though when used in a mod you cannot make it language-specific unless you make localized text for the specified name!
- The targetname that other entities refer to this entity by.
- Entity Scripts
<scriptlist>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Shows the hint message.
- Hides the hint message.
- Removes this entity from the world.
- Removes this entity and all its children from the world.
- Evaluates a keyvalue/output on this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything. Can also be invoked by creating an output that does not specify an input.
This input is not included in Valve's FGDs.
<script>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug:Warning:Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2) !FGD
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity. Note:This input is missing from some games FGD files.
<origin>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's origin in the map. Note:This input is missing from some games FGD files.
<angles>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's angles in the map. Note:This input is missing from some games FGD files.
- These Outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
(New with Left 4 Dead)
- This Output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.
- env_message - A similar entity that displays other predefined messages on the screen.