User talk:Wunderboy

From Valve Developer Community
Jump to: navigation, search

That poor Z80 microprocessor! I hope the ones in my Game Boy and my TI-83+ and TI-84+'s don't leave me! --AndrewNeo 16:41, 22 Sep 2006 (PDT)

GCC/GLIBC versions

Hey Wunderboy,

just wanted to inform you that I've got news on the whole GCC/GLIBC versions subject, just in case you aren't monitoring that page actively anymore but still give a damn. It would be a shame if your mod didn't run on Linux! ;-)

Good luck! ~~Ravu 12:30, 21 Mar 2007 (PDT)


You came up with solid proof to determine whether VTF stood for "Valve Texture Format" or "Valve Texture File", so I'm putting a similar question to you: "VMF" The VMF page says one thing, and VMF documentation says another. Can you provide the same solid proof to settle this dispute? --Andreasen 10:47, 29 Aug 2007 (PDT)

A filetype's name never includes "file". It's always "format". --TomEdwards 13:15, 29 Aug 2007 (PDT)
Then how do you explain Talk:VTF? A typo? --Andreasen 13:27, 29 Aug 2007 (PDT)
Valve making a grammatical error. :-) --TomEdwards 13:32, 29 Aug 2007 (PDT)
Normally I'd agree with you, but as this is the only solid piece of evidence, I'll buy "Valve Texture Format" if you can come up with evidence to the contrary. --Andreasen 14:14, 29 Aug 2007 (PDT)
I think it's down to context. When talking about how data is arranged in the actual file you could probably use "Valve Texture Format", however in the context of the file extension denoting what type of file it is, "Valve Texture File" fits better. I.e. ".vtf denotes a Valve texture file containing data stored in the Valve texture format".
Likewise, most people say that VMT is a Valve Material. Considering what the file is and how it is used, I'm more inclined towards Valve Material Template (VMT) myself.--Wunderboy 15:38, 29 Aug 2007 (PDT)

Modeling vs Modelling

Terribly sorry old chap! Should have researched it before making the edit! It will be added to the list of alternative spellings and removed from the misspellings list. No need to come after me with a stick now! *quietly runs away* :P --Etset 02:42, 19 Feb 2008 (PST)

LOL It's quite alright. It's a common thing that people revert stuff to American English when in fact *both* are correct. It's been discussed before and the general agreement is that British or American English is fine for articles, it's mainly grammar, general spelling and POV we need to look out for. --Wunderboy 03:44, 19 Feb 2008 (PST)
Agreed :) I "corrected" it because I truly thought it was a typo, but failed to do my homework (i.e. look it up on Wiktionary, for example) :P It's exactly due to the British English/American English writing issues that I started the list of alternative spellings. It's always a work in progress, of course. By the way, if you happen to spot an alternative spelling item on the list of misspellings raise the alarm, or feel free to move it to the alternative spelling list yourself :) Just don't hit me with the stick... I beg you! :P --Etset 04:15, 19 Feb 2008 (PST)