Steam browser protocol
There are numerous system-wide commands available that interact with Steam. All of them open up Steam if it is not open. They can either be typed into a command box (Start-> Run) or through your browser's address bar (you can normally create links to them as you would web page links). Use a Steam Application ID in place of <id> (i.e. 211 for the Source SDK).
- Opens Steam with command line arguments, which can be found here.
- Opens the Steam checklist menu to add non-Steam games.
- Opens the store to an application's page.
- Accepts the specified Gift or Guest Pass.
- Opens up the news page for an app.
- Opens up the Backup Wizard and checks the specified application. If an application is not specified then nothing will be checked.
- Checks if users computer meets system requirements of app.
steam://connect/<IP or DNS name>[:<port>][/<password>]
- Connects the user to the server specified by the IP or DNS name. You don't have to specify anything else to connect to a third party mod server, everything will be automatically detected.
- Defragments files of the application.
- Exits the Steam application.
- Opens Friends. These sub-commands are accepted:
- Adds user with specified id number
- Shows list of users with whom you recently played
- Joins a chat with a specified id number
- Send a message
- Shows table of recent players you've played with
- Toggle offline friends from friends list
- Toggle avatars in friends list
- Sorts friends list by name
- Sets status as away
- Sets status as busy
- Sets status as invisible
- Sets status as looking to trade
- Sets status as looking to play
- Sets status as offline
- Sets status as online
- Flushes and reloads the configs for each application (beta availability, etc.)
- Forces the steam controller driver to use the layout for the given game or shortcut, without the need to use the in-game overlay, big picture mode, or even run the application at all.
- Opens up the Guest Passes window.
- Tests whether the user has hardware that matches a promotional offer.
- Installs an application.
steam://install/8230installs Sam & Max: Episode 4.
- Installs the specified add-on.
steam://installaddon/halflifehdinstalls HL High-Def Pack.
steam://installaddon/hl2russianinstalls HL2 Russian Pack.
- Commands related to the Steam music player.
- Opens a Steam window, but doesn't make the Steam window active. Known <component> values:
- Opens a Steam window. Known <component> values:
- The steam developer console
- Your "favorite window".
- CD key registration (e.g Prey)
- Opens URL in the system's default web browser.
- Cancels an ongoing PayPal transaction.
- Preloads an application.
- Loads the specified publisher catalogue in the Store. Type the publisher's name in lowercase, e.g.
- Opens a dialog box to buy an application from Steam.
- Opens up a dialog box to buy a subscription to a Steam product/service. None are available yet.
- Uninstalls the specified add-on.
steam://removeaddon/halflifehduninstalls HL High-Def Pack
- Runs an application. It will be installed if necessary.
//<args>is optional, args are passed to the application as launch parameters.
- Resets CVARs of a Source game.
- Same as
run, but with support for mods and non-Steam shortcuts.
- Same as
steam://open/settings, but also allows for subcommands for each page:
- Stops a currently running in-home streaming session
- Opens up the store for an app, if no app is specified then the default one is opened.
- Opens a dialog box with a checklist of the games specified allowing you to install them all at once.
- Launches the Steam Support utility, and runs all of its tests. Enter a valid support string to filter results.
- Takes a survey.
- Deletes the specified apps' cache files.
- Opens the Steam Controller firmware update screen.
- Opens the news about the latest updates for an app.
- Opens a special, named web pages:
- Opens a Workshop/Greenlight submission.
- Opens the Manage Family Library Sharing page from Store -> Account.
- Opens your recent steam support requests
- Opens the Family View page from Store -> Account.
- Opens the internal automatic sign in page. It won't work unless the correct one-time password is specified.
- Opens store homepage in Steam store tab.
- Opens support.steampowered.com in your default browser.
- Validates the local files of an app.