point_servercommand is a point entity available in all Source games. It issues commands to the server console. It's used by simply placing it in a map and triggering the Command input, the parameter override should be the exact console command to run.
Warning: This entity can corrupt the vmf file if used improperly. If your map crashes when you open it, this could be the problem. Open the vmf file in notepad and press Ctrl+F. Search for command and remove that line.
One way in which this entity can become corrupted is by enclosing commands that contain spaces in quotation marks. In some other contexts this is necessary to make sure the computer does not interpret a space as the end of the command, but here it will cause an immediate map crash on attempting to compile or open the map. The map can be repaired by removing the superfluous quotation marks in Notepad or with a tool such as PSPad. Attempting to open the map in Object Viewer may fail but yield a useful error message that gives the exact line of code to be edited, referred to as a "malformed expression."
- Entity Scripts
<scriptlist>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Command to execute.
- Removes this entity and any entities parented to it from the world.
- Functions the same as
Kill, although this entity and any entities parented to it are killed on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Evaluates a keyvalue/output on this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything. Can also be invoked by creating an output that does not specify an input.
This input is not included in Valve's FGDs.
<script>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2) !FGD
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
<coordinates>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
<angles>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's angles.
- These Outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
OnKilled(Only in the Left 4 Dead series)
- This Output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.