|Availability||In all games|
|CPathCorner defined in |
path_corner is a point entity available in all games.
- A path_corner is a corner in a path, either for a func_train or an NPC. path_corners can be chained together to form complex routes. To create a path_corner chain simply shift+drag an existing path_corner. The values will automatically be filled in. To manually make a chain (or link one up in a circle), edit the Next stop target property.
- A path_corner_crash is identical to a path_corner, but can be enabled and disabled for a crash point; when an NPC is searching for a crash point, it will not search for generic path_corners
- The path_corner entity is !FGD for base.fgd, so it only will appear in Hammer for Half-Life 2
A path_corner can be a destination for an NPC. When told to, NPCs will stop other movement and walk steadily towards a path_corner. It is entirely scripted behavior. Note that the Train Speed and wait values do not affect NPCs.
To make an NPC move to a path_corner edit the Target Path Corner keyvalue, either in Hammer or through the I/O system. Alternatively, an NPC can be made to follow a path_corner chain by using the aiscripted_schedule or scripted_sequence entities.
- See also Assaults for an alternative way to create NPC routes without using path_corner.
Limitations and bugs
- A path_corner (or the first path_corner on a chain) must be within 576 units for NPCs to find it.
- It is either difficult or impossible to tell an NPC which direction to face once they've reached a path corner. If this is important, you may want to consider using Assaults instead.
- See the apc_on_path and the npc_scanner_on_path prefabs for examples on usage.
- Download Example (VMF)
Note that the example map does not have any info_nodes. They are not needed to have an NPC follow a path.
- Next stop target
- Wait here (secs)
- New train speed
- Leave at zero to leave path follower's speed the same
1] : Wait for retrigger
2] : Teleport to THIS path_corner
- Fires when a path follower passes this point. (
!activatoris the train)