This is a list of external modding related sites that do not quite fit into any specific category.
- Official Source SDK Forums and the now-defunct VERC Network Forums
- Game Design Theory - Interesting for art directors, team leaders
- Gamedesign.net - Some helpful modding and mapping tutorials (broken site)
- GamesModding.com Tutorial Database (Down) archived version - A list of almost every Half-Life 2 modding tutorial out there.
- HL2World.com - Half Life 2 Knowledge Base
- Interlopers.net - News and general resources
- Mapcore - A great place to get mapping, modeling and texture help from industry pros.
- Mod Database - Free listings of mods for almost every moddable game. A great database full of tons of information on mods that are out there.
- Nem's Tools - Several useful Source tools including GCFScape
- SourceWiki Forums - (Main site now closed)
- The RaZZeR App Tutorials/Tools about Source engine development.
- Type 3 Studios - Mods, Maps, Tutorials, Forums, and a thorough community site on the way.
- Wavelength - One of the original sources of HL1 editing material, now steadily servicing HL2
- Wunderboy.org - Several useful Source tools including VTFTool
- ZeqMacaw's Tidbits - Contains tutorials about more advanced stuff for L4D2
- sourcemodding - An Attempt to preserve the modding legacy of Goldsrc, Source and Source 2.
This is a list of sites about mapping, including tutorials, articles, communities, etc. Creative toolset to becoming a game level designer and 3d environment artist.
- Mapeadores - Mapping community.
- Balticforever - Mapping and modeling community.
- Facepunch - Forums with a huge Source Engine Mapping Section.
- Gamebanana > Tutorials - Tutorials related to a variety of Source Games.
- Halfwit-2 - Another collection of Mapping tutorials.
- Interlopers - Half-Life 2 News & Tutorials.
- L4Dmaps - Mapping forums and resource site for the L4D series.
- Lambdageneration - Articles & Tutorials about Source Engine modding & level design.
- Mapcore - International game development community with many users working in the game industry.
- Mappingbase German mapping community with more than 300 tutorials for the Source Engine.
- mIKe's ReVeNGe - HL2DM Community with an Excellent set of Tutorials!
- Modding-Area - Tutorials on Mapping, Beginner to Advanced, all in French!
- TF2Maps.net - Mapping forums and resource site for TF2.
- The RaZZeR App - German tutorials on Source engine development.
- The Snarkpit - Mapping and modeling community site.
- The Wall - German mapping community for Goldsource and Source.
- ThinkingWithPortals - Portal 2 mapping community and public download database.
- The Whole Half-Life - Mapping community and tutorial site with busy forums for Goldsource and Source mappers.
- UberMicro - Mapping forums for all Valve games. Help with Valve's Hammer Editor.
- World of Level Design - Website dedicated to mapping tutorials, 3d environment modeling, level design articles.
- PROJECT-S (УРОКИ)
This article may contain broken links. These broken links can still be accessed by visiting web.archive.org, and inserting the link into the field provided on that site, then selecting a year that provides the most information on that site.
This is a list of sites relating to programming, covering both general and HL2/Source SDK specific topics.
- Microsoft Developer Network
- Programmer's Heaven
- Tech books for free
- The Code Project
- Dev Articles
- Code Beach
- Dev Shed Forums
- Stack Overflow - a collaboratively edited question and answer site for programmers
- daniweb - IT Discussion Community - Software Programming with sample code and tutorials
- objectmix - Application Development Forum
- programmingtalk.com - a programming, coding, and design oriented community
- Bytes - IT / Dev Knowledge Shared
- Stanford University's course channel on YouTube
- Massachusetts Institute Of Technology (MIT) course channel on YouTube
- UC Berkeley course channel on YouTube
- University of New South Wales (UNSW) course channel on YouTube
- OpenGL.org - official site for OpenGL information
- NVIDIA Developer Zone - OpenGL, DirectX, PhysX, and CUDA resourses
- AMD Developer Central - Resources for GPU programming and development
- Intel Developer Center
- Rocket Commander Tutorials - 10-Part Howto make 3D Games Tutorial.
- Directx C++ - Documentation for Unmanaged Directx.
- Directx Managed - Documentation for Managed Directx.
- Managed Directx Info - Includes various resources, tools, samples, code snippets for Managed Directx.
- GameProgrammer.org - Resources on OpenGL and DirectX game programming
- Gamedev.net - Website with a lot of useful resources for game developers.
- oZone3D.Net - Tutorials and resources for OpenGL, DirectX and LUA programming
- DevMaster.net - General game development news and coding resouces
- Game Programming Wiki - programming tutorials and source code for a variety of languages and platforms
- Mattie's Eventscripts - Great for gaining some minor coding experience, simple plugin addon for Source games.
- Razvanadrian - Half Life 2 Coding -- REMOVED
- Detler's Site - Lots of Half-Life tutorials, especially on coding in Russian
- design3 Video Tutorials - Many Source videos, including ones on vehicle programming and scripting.
Sample Source Code
- Quake Engine Source Code - Source code from old Quake (used by Half-Life too) and Doom games.
- Mech Commander 2 - Entire game and source code. Can serve as an example for learning programming.
- Plan of Attack Source Code - The entire source code (including art assets) for the Plan of Attack mod, free to use in other mods.
- Full Half-Life SDK: Fileplanet (source code only) / Sourceforge / Gamefront (full / source code only)
- MSDN: Getting Started with Visual C++
- Stroustrup: C++
- Thinking in C++ (2nd Edition)
- CodeCogs - open source Numerical library in C/C++
- ITtoolbox C Languages Knowledge Base
- C++ for you
- CoderSource.net: C++ Programming Tutorials
- Xoax.net C++ Video Tutorials
- Wiki Books: C++ Programming
- An introduction to C, by Tom Torfs
- C++ In Action
- C++: A Dialog
- A Beginners C++
Git and Source Code
This is a list of sites related to modeling.
- Yobi3D - 3D model search engine. Provides 3D preview of 3D models.
- Cannonfodder's Tools - 3DSMax Importers and Exporters, Dispgen - Displacement Terrains from heightmaps, StudioCompiler - Model/Texture Compiler/Decompiler, winBSPzip - BSP Packer
- RnL Forums' Lightwave Plugins - Lightwave mesh export plugins. Not currently available, but may be in the future.
- Insects Infestation - II SDK modeling Export models to Source engine tutorials for 3DSMax, Maya, MS3D, XSI, FRAG.
- CG Talk The largest and most useful model discussion/news site on the internet.
- Digital Tutors - Excellent video tutorials, free and packaged, for using SoftImage|XSI and Adobe Photoshop
- polycount - Articles and forums on game modeling
- Ben Mathis' modeling tutorials
- CDG.net Forums - A great resource for learning about, downloading and releasing models.
- CG Arena - Graphics and Animation Community for Digital Artists
- ShareCG.com - a large collection of free Computer Graphics resources]
- CG Cookie - an online education resource for cg artists working with various popular applications
- squarepolygon - collaboratively edited question and answer site for questions related to 3d modelling and visualisation