3D Modeling Programs
From Valve Developer Community
3D modeling software is mostly used for making props and characters, but can also be used for generating textures.
- For Source Modeling, the model editor application must be able to export models in Valve's SMD format.
With Half-Life: Source model exporter
- kHED - a free and simple modeling program.
- 3DS Max - a high end suite for animation, modeling and rendering. one of the industry's best. Has a large support network and many plugins. Valve used 3DS MAX for the original Half-Life (hence the name of studiomdl.exe and .smd) there for exporters exists for all versions from 3 to 9, importers for .smd also exists for most versions as well as a .vta exporter and .vtf importer.
- Blender - a high end, free, open-source, suite for animation, modeling and rendering.
- Cinema 4D - a popular modeling program, especially in TV media. It is a powerful toolbox. It's exporter currently only support static prop exporting.
- fragMOTION - a low end modeling and animation suite, but it has tight integration with the structure of half-life models and supports weighted vertexes. FragMOTION comes with
.smdimporter and importer as well as
- GMax - a discontinued free version of 3ds Max currently distributed by Turbo Squid. Both, an
.smdexporter and importer exist for GMax.
- Maya - a high end suite for animation, modeling and rendering. An advanced
.vtaexporter exists as well as a limited
- MilkShape 3D - a low end, popular and simple to use 3D modeling program. Comes with
.smdexporter and importer.
- LightWave 3D - an excellent mid range modeling and animation suite. Currently, a LightWave-only exporter supports static props.
- Autodesk Softimage - (formerly Softimage XSI) an excellent mid to high end modeling, animation and rendering suite. Valve used Softimage for most models in Half-life:Source, the Softimage Mod Tool exporter can be used with a little modification.
- Softimage Mod Tool - (formerly XSI Mod Tool) a free version of Softimage with limited capabilities compared to the full version of Softimage. Valve developed the exporter for the Softimage Mod Tool together with the Softimage developers, and as a result the exporter has full support for importing and exporting
.smdand exporting of