Failed to load the default scheme file
From Valve Developer Community
This article needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of quality because:
Solution provided is outdated -- Needs revision (Jan 2012)
"Failed to load the default scheme file. The map views may be missing some visual elements"
The error is known to occur when trying to start Hammer faster using a shortcut, instead of the Source SDK GUI. Although, it can also happen when openning Hammer from the Source SDK GUI today (Sept 2009).
If you are trying to launch hammer for a Valve game from the Source SDK launcher and are receiving this error try launching hammer.exe from "steam/steamapps/common/gamename/bin"
- Get SourceScheme.res from one of the GCF files or create a mod.
- Copy it to the ...\SteamApps\username\sourcesdk\bin\resource\ folder, or to the ...\SteamApps\username\half-life 2\hl2\resource\ folder.
If this doesn't work, then you can use Filemon from sysinternal's to find out where Hammer is actually looking for this file.
Another possible fix (for Orange Box):
- Get SourceScheme.res as outlined above
- Copy it to \SteamApps\username\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\resource\
Yet another possible fix :
It is possible that you have deleted this line
"ToolsAppId 211 // Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug,"
or only added "//" before in the GameInfo.txt of your mod or game. This can cause this error or an other when you start HLMV.
- If so, just rewrite the line or erase the "//".