Exporting a model/Maya
Maya is a popular 3D modeling/animation/rendering suite from Autodesk (antes de Alias). It is a powerful tool for modeling, texturing and animating props and characters. It also contains many advanced features which are not applicable to Source modding (dynamics, rendering, etc.). While Valve favors XSI for modeling and animating, some users may prefer Maya's rich feature set.
Steam\SteamApps\username\sourcesdk\mayaValve's .smd scripts supplied in the Source SDK
Installing Valve's Maya 7 Plug-in
1. Edit the sourcesdk\maya\7.0\runmaya.bat and make sure that the path setting to maya.exe is correct. The default is C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya7.0\bin.
2. Run C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\ \sourcesdk\maya\7.0\runmaya.bat
3. When Maya comes up go to Window|Settings/Preferences|Plug-in Manager...
4. Look for vstSmdl0.mll and check the "loaded" and "auto load" boxes.
5. When you go to export you should see the new choices:
Valve SMD Model
Valve SMD Animated Model
Valve SMD Physics Model
Valve SMD Animation
- Autodesk Maya Official site.
- Introduction to the Maya 8 User Interface Noesis Interactive video tutorial.
- Introduction to Custom Props for Source Powered Games with Maya Noesis Interactive video tutorial.
- Stieffers' Maya to Source: A Model Exportation Guide
- Creating a Keyboard Physics Prop with Maya - Goes through entire workflow--covers modeling, UV Mapping, texturing, and exporting.
- Palmer's Maya Prop Exporting Tutorial