Authoring Tools/SDK (Portal 2)
The authoring tools was released by Valve as an update to the original Source SDK. Currently, the program is in an Open Beta state, which allows owners of Portal 2 to create and run their own custom-made maps. However, there are possible bugs within the system, so use of the program is cautioned.
Note that most situations in Portal still apply to the original Portal's level development system (which can be found in the Portal Level Creation category). However, special units (like the Aerial Faith Plates) will be placed in the Portal 2 Level Design category.
The Portal 2 Authoring Tools are available for free on Steam to all owners of the PC version of Portal 2.
Downloading and Installation
To install the Portal 2 Authoring Tools, either click here or:
- Restart Steam if it's currently running.
- Open the Steam window.
- Choose Tools from the Library drop down menu.
- Double-click on the Portal 2 Authoring Tools - Beta entry.
- The Portal 2 Authoring Tools will download to your computer via Steam.
- Once it has been fully installed, you will be able to launch it in the same way you installed it (from the Tools tab).