Valve Developer Community talk:Wiki To Do
I'm assuming we can now get rid of the entry calling for addition of first-party mods? --Alph Tech STUART 12:25, 17 Dec 2005 (PST)
Please ban VasskoV...this is his only contribution so far -ts2do
- That list of spam/links was uncalled for. Wonder what the point was. --wisemx 06:32, 30 Aug 2005 (PDT)
- An attempt to increase search engine rankings, most likely. One aspect of Google's rankings involves counting links to a particular website, so spammers paste their links in any publicly-editable places they can. Fortunately, Google now ignores such links in wikis, so it's meant to be a dying practice. Mr. VasskoV's time has been entirely wasted... ;-] --Cargo Cult 06:58, 30 Aug 2005 (PDT)
Special HTML character usage
- Convert " to “ & ” (“ & ”) to add some class to documentation. Only do this in non-code/command text.
- Convert apostrophes (') to ’ (’) to add some class to documentation. Only do this in non-code/command text.
Why? I don't see how that's gonna benefit anyone. Quite the opposite, actually, since using those symbols will most likely break something when text is copy&pasted into a text editor. Also, they don't even look that good. And, furthermore, using different symbols for the same thing will cause the whole database to be wildly inconsistent and IMO more reduce class than add it. Jupix 08:19, 16 Mar 2006 (PST)
Those symbols are primitive...text editors won't have a problem with them...it's just something to do for people who want to do something that takes less effort... I don't see how ’, etc would be a problem tho—ts2do 16:21, 16 Mar 2006 (PST)
- Wouldn't call them primitive, there aren't even keys in my keyboard for those symbols :P Also, IMO, it's just plain dumb to require using these symbols when they practically have to be copy&pasted into place (as opposed to the real symbols that work like a charm anyways). Just not a very good idea IMHO. Jupix 21:28, 16 Mar 2006 (PST)
it's not that hard to memorize ” “ ’ ‘ (” “ ’ ‘)—ts2do 22:20, 16 Mar 2006 (PST)
- But that's not the proper way to go about it, is it? For example, I don't see you using rsquo's in your messages, in place of apostrophes. I still think using them is way too much trouble for a minor visual improvement (which I think it even isn't). Now we've got like ten articles using them and the rest not. Exactly that kind of inconsistency makes the VDC (and any site, for that matter) look like it's run by a bunch of amateurs :/ Jupix 05:10, 17 Mar 2006 (PST)
- Please do not promote the wide usage of these characters on the VDC. Besides the valid editing issues mentioned by Jupix, we've discovered that Mediawiki's import and export functions do not support them correctly, which we sometimes utilize. --JeffLane 18:53, 30 Mar 2006 (PST)
Removed...I'll post the reciporical. by the way, are mdashes fine?—ts2do 18:56, 30 Mar 2006 (PST)