From Valve Developer Community
An entity to control the sunlight that casts shadows in the map. Nearly identical to env_global_light in both function and appearance.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X)
- This is the light cast direction. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, and roll is the rotation around the X axis.
- Light Color
- This is the color of the sunlight.
- Color Transition Time
- This is the number of seconds it takes to get from 0 to 255.
- This is the distance of the sun, greater distances produce more orthogonal shadows.
- This is the field of view that the sunlight casts in. Use lower values for more distant sun and sharper shadows.
- NearZ Distance
- This controls the near clipping plane's distance from the player.
- North Offset
- This offsets the from the player position where the sun is attached.
- Texture Name
- Enable Shadows
- Enables/disables shadows from this projected texture.
- Entity Scripts (vscripts)
<scriptlist>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function (thinkfunction)
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Start Disabled (StartDisabled)
- Stay dormant until activated (probably with the
- Set the light color.
- Set the sun direction.
- Set the distance of the sun.
- Set the field of view the sun casts.
- Set the near z distance.
- Sets the north offset.
- Set the texture cookie of the sunlight.
- Set the if shadows are enabled
- Removes this entity and any entities parented to it from the world.
- Functions the same as
Kill, although this entity and any entities parented to it are killed on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Evaluates a keyvalue/output on this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything. Can also be invoked by creating an output that does not specify an input.
This input is not included in Valve's FGDs.
<script>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2)
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
<string>(New with Left 4 Dead 2) !FGD
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
<coordinates>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
<angles>(New with Alien Swarm) !FGD
- Set this entity's angles.
- Enable/disable this entity from performing its task. It might also disappear from view.
- These Outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
OnKilled(Only in the Left 4 Dead series)
- This Output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.