In Source, a Reference mesh (sometimes body, envelope or skin) defines some or all of a model's rendered geometry. It is stored in a 'reference SMD' file together with skeleton and UV map data.
- UV maps
- The UV map defines how the mesh's material is deformed to fit it.
- Levels of detail
- A reference mesh is commonly replaced by lower-detail meshes at distances with
$lod to improve performance. See LOD Models.
- A reference mesh is enveloped to the bones of a model's skeleton to allow for animation.
- Weight maps
- See weight map.
There are three QC commands related to reference meshes:
- A basic reference mesh.
- A reference mesh with facial animation.
- A reference mesh or group of reference meshes that can be switched between or off.
- A low-detail reference mesh that replaces another at the $lod's specified distance and above.