Normal Map Creation in XSI
- Version 5.0: Ultimapper
- Version 4.x: GPU Surface FX2
- Version 3.5: GPU surface FX
The name has been changing, but the basic usage is the same:
- Move the high resolution model over the low resolution model.
- Select the low resolution one.
- Select GPU Surface FX2 (or Ultimapper in ver 5.0) from Get>Property.
- In the GPU Surface FX2 menu:
- Pick the high resolution model (or group).
- Make sure normal is checked.
- Change settings such as normal map resolution, path, sampling, as you want.
- If you are ready, click Regenerate button. XSI will make the normal map.
- To preview the result, set Preview Display and Hardware correctly and click Create Preview.
Important: It is necessary to invert the green channel of the output file. If you don't do this, your up/down normals will appear inverted in the engine. The simplest way to do this in Photoshop is to open a channel window, (window:channel) select the green channel (which controls up/down), and press <Ctrl+I>.