From Valve Developer Community
This article is a stub. You can help by adding to it.
asw_holdout_spawneris a point entity available in Alien Swarm.
This Entity spawns Swarm in Holdout Mode. This mode is much like a survival mode where waves of enemies continuously attack the player.
- Entity Scripts
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X) (angles)
- This entity's orientation in the world. Pitch is rotation around the Y axis, yaw is the rotation around the Z axis, roll is the rotation around the X axis.
; Allow spawn if marines are near
- If set to True, the key 'Prevent spawn if marines are this close' must be adjusted accordingly. Useful for 'magic', non-burrowed spawns where it would look awkward if a player saw it.
- Start Burrowed
- If true then the spawning alien will play either it's default or a specific unburrow animation.
- Unburrow Idle Activity
- Idle animation the alien will play before unburrowing. Not necessary for standard spawns.
- Unburrow Activity
- If the spawning alien starts burrowed, it'll play this animation on spawn. By default burrowed aliens will climb out of a floor grate, in order to change this please view Swarm Animations
- Prevent spawn if marines are this close
- Used in conjunction with the 'Allow spawn if marines are near' key; if said key set to True then this value must be adjusted for it to work efficiently. If marines are in the specified radius, the spawner will temporarily stop until the set radius has been cleared.
- Long sight range
- If true, aliens from this spawner will be able to see and sense enemies twice as far away as normal. Useful for aliens spawned at a distance that are intended to track the marines. Handy for larger survival maps.
- Alien Orders
- Orders given to each alien spawned.
- Spread Then Hibernate
- Move To
- Move To Ignoring Marines
- Move To Nearest Marine
- Alien Orders Target Name
- Name of the target object used by the 'Move To' order (above).
- Name to give spawned aliens
- Useful for controlling spawned aliens later on. Note: When specifying the spawned aliens in another entity or Output the names of the spawned aliens are automatically given a numeric value after their name. ex. specified name is 'Drone' and the added value would make it 'Drone_1', so in order to specify all the spawned later on you must add a wildcard to the end of the target, thus becoming 'Drone*'
- Check Spawn Point is Clear
- Used to check whether the spawn point is clear of obstruction. E.g. Not blocked by props, marines, other aliens.
- Min Skill Level
- The minimum skill level for this spawner to function. Skill levels are: 1=easy 2=normal 3=hard 4=insane 0=nolimit
- Max Skill Level
- The maximum skill level for this spawner to function. Skill levels are: 1=easy 2=normal 3=hard 4=insane 0=nolimit
- Removes this entity from the world.
- Removes this entity and its children from the world. Note:Entities already remove orphaned children upon being removed, but this input removes all children on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Adds a keyvalue/output to this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything depending on the entity. Can also be invoked by firing an output that does not specify an input.
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
- Set this entity's angles.
- Toggles the spawner between enabled and disabled.
- Allows aliens to spawn from this spawner.
- Stops aliens spawning from this spawner.
- These outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- This output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.
- Fires when an alien is spawned. The activator is the alien, and the string is the name of the alien.