- I'll have to revisit that and do some testing. Most of the info is copied directly from the help documentation in Hammer, as you may already know. Thanks for bringing this up, MossyB! --ThaiGrocer 16:35, 13 February 2011 (UTC)
- Alright, now. I double-checked the description in the help file. I remember now that it was an exact copy of the description in the help file for initial creation of the article to build on later. I guess I can make a section in the article that gives an example... with pictures! There are a lot of great examples in the alien swarm SDK on how it's used, so it shouldn't be so bad to get it translated from Valve talk. From an initial look, it's kind of like how instances work in 3DS Max, but not as "fancy feast". Thanks for all the hard work that you have been doing here recently and in the past, MBucket! This place needs a lot of cleaning up. --ThaiGrocer 16:51, 13 February 2011 (UTC)
- Tutorials and entity descriptions don't mix (on the same article). It's particularly this sentence that seems odd (official description or not): "Whenever you add a $parameter for the instance, get the properties of this entity." Is there a word missing or something?
- Thank you for your encouragement! Since ts2do seems to have left as well, and Jeff Lane probably being more busy making games, it's kind of weird to come back and see that the wiki is at places almost exactly like I left it, typos and all. Disheartening, as I imagined that more modders would have had reasons to make it their business to expand on it. I probably won't be able to send as much time here as I did as Andreasen, though - social life and all of that. (Although the miscellaneous (non-HL) forum bans do help, I guess.) --MossyBucket (formerly Andreasen) 18:09, 13 February 2011 (UTC)
- I'll try to describe it better than how it was described in Hammer Help, which is what you see on the page atm. Also, should I just list examples of its use in AS map sources? What do you think?--ThaiGrocer 18:26, 13 February 2011 (UTC)
- In general we have struggled to separate information into three categories: The straight technical information would go under the entity description for quick and short reference (without skipping technical details), information about the general way you use the entity within its field, goes under the article about that field (In this case the instance article needs more information.) and if you strictly want to be helpful while you provide step-by-step instructions while refering to the reader as "you", it goes under tutorials.
- However, in this case, people will probably be grateful for any information they can get in any way. We can sort it all out later. =) --MossyBucket (formerly Andreasen) 01:32, 14 February 2011 (UTC)
Re: Witch Bride precaching
Well, I was looking inside the c6m1_riverbank.lst located in left4dead2_dlc1 and thought: "Maybe this is how Valve made that bride spawn without putting her anywhere in the map? This would do nicely!", so I decided to write that. I haven't tried it myself, but, you know, c6m3_port.lst lists the models and textures for the original Survivors and I thought that would help. So I decided to mention the streaming, yours truly. --Breakin' Benny 13:13, 15 September 2011 (PDT)