On the VERC, someone claimed to make a 100-story elevator. In my ignorance, I failed to note its location. I believe it had something to do with using a func_movelinear. Tracktrains are just painful for multi-story elevators. --Demented 23:11, 1 Nov 2005 (PST)
ok, i am guessing that using func_movelinear requires code to tell it where to move depending on which floor to go to? if so, do you guys know how to code it? :) --aj - email@example.com 03:44, 2 Nov 2005 (PST)
I'll create a 4 floor Elevator tutorial for HL2 today.
It isn't painful getting them working with func_tracktrain, you just need to use a few simple tricks, plus you get the cool dynamic Elevator with doors and light. --wisemx 04:26, 2 Nov 2005 (PST)
- Just completed Phase 1 of the HL2 4 Floor Elevator
- Phase 2, and the tutorial, will allow floors to be picked via Elevator buttons.
- This one works smoothly, stops at each floor, floor 4 returns to floor 1.--wisemx 07:46, 2 Nov 2005 (PST)
- func_movelinear can take fractional values to the SetPosition input, so it can be used for multi-stop elevators. (I've done so in the past, comparing different ways of doing elevators in HL2DM; the conclusion, for anyone interested, is that in HL2DM all methods of moving platforms have that terrible jerkiness.) However, func_tracktrain is superior for several reasons (chiefly, acceleration and ease of extension). —Maven (talk) 08:51, 2 Nov 2005 (PST)
I want to thank everyone that contributed with their input, you have helped me greatly, especially mark with the samples. thank you all. --aj - firstname.lastname@example.org 16:09, 2 Nov 2005 (PST)
I checked out the tutorial and sample maps that mark made, unfortunately i am looking for a way to make the elevator go directly to a specific floor instead of 1 up or 1 down. i really don't care how complicated it is i just have to have it :p If you guys come up with anything, let me know. --aj - email@example.com 19:11, 2 Nov 2005 (PST)
- It can be done, the second vmf, more advanced, only needs 4 times as many logic_relays.--wisemx 19:22, 2 Nov 2005 (PST)
- Download it again, I made improvements today.
- The Elevator can be called from each floor and it doesn't need to loop to go from floor 4 to floor 3.
- Here's the update, 198k, vmf and HL2 BSP
so you only stopped it from looping when its called? say i am in the elevator and i go from 3 to 2 then i want to go to 4, is there a way to stop it from going down to one? --aj - firstname.lastname@example.org 06:13, 6 Nov 2005 (PST)
- Yes, it just requires more logic, i.e. the logic entities. You could create a logic branch for each floor with a case for the other floors. I may create a 5th version that does this but it will be too confusing for the current tutorial, which is why I included the simple and advanced versions. --wisemx 06:51, 6 Nov 2005 (PST)
I look forward to seeing a 5th version, however i dread having to extend the the elevator to 7 levels, i will have to learn how the logic entities work :/ --aj - email@example.com 15:06, 6 Nov 2005 (PST)