- 1 Renderbox / ActBusies
- 2 Speech Semaphore
- 3 Models
- 4 More pictures
- 5 Talker
- 6 Dedicated Console Values
- 7 Frohman's Name?
- 8 Pipe as weapon hack
- 9 Odessa Cubbage and Cheaple
- 10 Enemy Citizens
- 11 Flag :- Efficient - Don't aquire enimies or avoid obstacles working or bugged?
- 12 SetMedicOn/SetMedicOff Models
Renderbox / ActBusies
16777216 : Use RenderBox in ActBusies
Can someone tell me what this does/means, please? --Giles 08:48, 19 May 2006 (PDT)
- It means to use the renderbox rather than the human hull as the solid box
- “ // Use render bounds instead of human hull for guys sitting in chairs, etc. ”—ts2do 14:03, 19 May 2006 (PDT)
- Thanks. --Giles 05:36, 20 May 2006 (PDT)
What does it mean by "speech semaphore"?
- it allows the npc to talk even if other teammates are talking (there's 2 semaphores: friends & foes) semaphore just means restriction...allowing 1 to talk at a time—ts2do 17:25, 22 May 2006 (PDT)
This doesn't seem to be true (anymore):
: If the Medic flag is set and the citizentype is set to 3 (rebel), the equivalent models from models/humans/group03m/ are used.
Looking at the textures, there is no such thing as a /group03m/ group - only a single /group03/ group.
Also, is there any trick to using the old sdk/models/humans/male/citizen_sheet skin? --Andreasen 00:43, 22 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- GCFScape reports a
hl2/models/Humans/Group03m/alive and well in
Source Models.gcf. :)
- Also, I originally refrained from specifying that "Default" means Blue Outfit, because I'm not sure that you can't affect the Default from elsewhere. Perhaps with a combination of global variables or something. Are you sure that Default always means Blue? Along those lines, I'm also suspicious that "Unique" means something more than just "regular blue" too. --Giles 02:26, 22 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- Yes, but is the m group used (seeing that the group03 sheet also contains the medic skins)? Strange that the m group doesn't show up in the texture browser.
- I only tested the types out ingame and gave them a description of what they looked like. I'm as puzzled as you. I'll write a todo on them. --Andreasen 03:19, 22 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- Where did the NPCs names come from? Cubbage is obviously Cubbage, but I'm curious as to how you are determining that Joe is Joe, and Van is Van, etc? --Giles 05:51, 22 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- I'm getting them from the names of the skin textures that the models use. You just have to figure out which skin belongs to which model - so far I've compared traits. =) --Andreasen 06:18, 22 Sep 2006 (PDT)
I've taken some nice screen caps of all their five outfits, but do we really need any of them? Those who has played through HL2 should know how a rebel medic looks like, right? --Andreasen 04:23, 22 Sep 2006 (PDT)
Is it just me or, since the last big SDK update, they don't talk anymore? If I run my mod with SteamAppID 220 they speak and act as expected, while if I use SteamAppID 215 (with my custom dlls, but I didn't touched a single line of code that deal with them) they're mute (and from time to time they assume their "Idle" pose). Any clue? I didn't post this on SDK bug list because I'm not sure whether it is my problem or not. --uoz 03:12, 26 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- Are you using the code of SDK August 06? --dutchmega 05:57, 26 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- Yes, I was referring to that. The very last update (September 06?) doesn't include any npc improvement afaik --uoz 08:30, 26 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- I've tried forcing their behaviour with ai_speechfilter, but had no luck --uoz 00:05, 20 Oct 2006 (PDT)
Dedicated Console Values
What exacly qualifies as a "dedicated console value"?
Here are some values that seem to be for this entity too:
ai_citizen_debug_commander 1 None
g_ai_citizen_show_enemy 0 None
npc_citizen_auto_player_squad 1 None npc_citizen_auto_player_squad_allow_use 0 None npc_citizen_explosive_resist 0 None npc_citizen_insignia 0 None npc_citizen_squad_marker 0 None
sk_citizen_giveammo_player_delay 10 None sk_citizen_heal_ally 30 None sk_citizen_heal_ally_delay 20 None sk_citizen_heal_ally_min_pct 0 None sk_citizen_heal_player 25 None sk_citizen_heal_player_delay 25 None sk_citizen_heal_player_min_forced 10 None sk_citizen_heal_player_min_pct 0 None sk_citizen_health 40 None sk_citizen_player_stare_dist 72 None sk_citizen_player_stare_time 1 None sk_citizen_stare_heal_time 5 None
--Andreasen 03:42, 30 Sep 2006 (PDT)
- Anything that pertains to a specific entity or group of entities is a dedicated console variable...it helps non-coders change things as well as give coders a reference of what to search for—ts2do 10:32, 30 Sep 2006 (PDT)
Um... just because that male_07.mdl (aka Male 4) is the citizen model that the comic uses doesn't mean that his official name is actually "Frohman"... is it? --Darthkillyou 17:24, 1 Mar 2008 (PST) Well, sorry if I ticked you off, but noone else seems to know the actual name of male_07, so I though It might be a slight improvement instead of no name at all --JeffMOD 17:23, 31 Mar 2008 (PDT)
- Heck I call him the Frohman model...--Gear 17:29, 31 Mar 2008 (PDT)
- "Frohman model" sounds... interesting :) --Darthkillyou 13:08, 5 May 2008 (PDT)
- I'm pretty sure those names are just to make it easier for humans to talk about individual models. "Frohman" tells you which one it is very nicely, doesn't it? --Kinkoblast 10:04, 10 Sep 2008 (PDT)
- It does, but he's pretty distinquishable. Anyway, someone found out his real name, it's mike. --JeffMOD 06:19, 3 Jan 2009 (PST)
Aww guys... you removed the names? Shucks. --dky 04:39, 8 April 2010 (UTC)
Pipe as weapon hack
It took me quite some time to finally determine that in order to have a citizen use the pipe as a weapon, that citizen's name must be matt (all lower case). Once an npc_citizen with the name matt is placed, give him or her a weapon_crowbar, and it will render as the pipe. Anyone from valve care to enlighten us on any of the other quirky (read: hacky) subtleties we should know about? Vecima 20:23, 16 May 2008 (PDT)
Odessa Cubbage and Cheaple
Ok, why is Odessa listed here as a citizen. Why does he not have his own page? Also, what are the cheaple citizens for? --Jeffane 02:53, 14 Jul 2008 (PDT)
He is listed as a citizen, supposedly, because he appears once in the game. So, it would be easier to simply give him all of the citizen's coding instead of making a new npc for one instance in the game. As for the cheaple citizens (I beleve there is only one,) they are used when the citizen is being projected through a camera and is out of focus (therefore not allowing great detail to be shown.) An example of this is during the first Gman sighting in Half-Life 2. In the many video camera P.O.V's on the television monitor, a citizen can be seen getting waved through a checkpoint by a metrocop. His model, in the SDK, is male_cheaple. --Spraykill 18:06, 16 Sep 2009
I think d1_eli_01 uses cheaple too, in the background behind a fence as you're walking through the lab. He never really faces your direction, so you can't see the poor quality on his face during that level. --dky 04:45, 8 April 2010 (UTC)
What's the easiest way to make a citizen an enemy? (Say if the player was supposed to be a Combine soldier, I wouldn't want them saying "Dr. Freeman!" and running over to join my squad ...) Creating an ai_relationship with a random NPC as the subject, CLASS_PLAYER as the target, a radius of 128, and a priority of 9001 didn't seem to work ... —Yar Kramer 21:12, 19 Nov 2008 (PST)
- ai_relationship, subject is "npc_citizen", target is "!player", Start Active is Yes, and Reciprocal is also Yes. This works best. Also, just set all the citizens to be non-commandable. Of course, their speech still refers to Dr. Freeman, but that's a modding problem, not a mapping one, so I can't help with that. --dky 04:47, 8 April 2010 (UTC)
Flag :- Efficient - Don't aquire enimies or avoid obstacles working or bugged?
I'm wondering if this flag is bugged or working as intended. When this flag is turned on. None of the random head flags work as in not displaying a different head model. The class info Model setting has no effect. The model which is displayed in game is of a male citizen model with black holes for eyes.
- I think that flag just turns the citizen into a cheap NPC that is ugly and dumb. It's for putting citizens in background areas where they won't be seen clearly anyway. --dky 04:51, 8 April 2010 (UTC)
The article states that changing a citizen's "medic" state with I/O doesn't affect the model, and this is true, mostly. However, if a standard citizen is set to medic and a saved game is loaded, or there's a level transition, their model will sometimes become the corresponding medic model (Male01 stays Male01, etc.). Further testing is needed to pinpoint what criteria need to be meet for the change to occur. Sage J. Fox 12:27, 16 October 2013 (PDT)