It would appear that soundscapes load along with map load, meaning if you BSPZip them they don't get loaded therefore they don't work. This is a shame since most of the time custom map content delivered via res files gets lost along the waves of the internet.
I removed a note about adding the last linebreak in the addlist section. I added an extra linebreak and the utility complained and didn't add the files. --Molaughlen 21:11, 20 Sep 2008 (PDT)
The Lost Tutorials
<input bsp> and <file list> should be in the form of "<filename>.<file extension>". <output bsp> can be the same file as the original bsp; if so, it will be replaced with the new zipped version. BSPzip will only look in its own folder. This information derived from the histories of BSPZIP (which was itself originally Using Bspzip to Embed Custom Content) and BSPzip tutorial. --Demented 22:11, 26 November 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks, I added the filename bit and made that you can overwrite the input file more obvious. But the files definitely don't have to be in BSPZIP's folder. Here's a command I use successfully:
"%sourcesdk%\bin\orangebox\bin\bspzip.exe" -addlist "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Jailbreak\maps\jb_openday.bsp" "C:\Users\Tom\Documents\Mods\jailbreak\mapsrc\jb_openaday_bspzip.txt" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Jailbreak\maps\jb_openday.bsp" pause
--TomEdwards 10:54, 27 November 2009 (UTC)
- Tom... does this format still work for you. I am not able to pack anything with BSPZip. The DOS prompt says that all files are added... but my filesize is not changing. In fact, I can't get it to work with any map I try. Ideas?--Shawnolson 07:23, 20 May 2012 (PDT)
- Actually... it is mysteriously working for me now. BSPZip was simply failing for the last week but now works.--Shawnolson 08:41, 20 May 2012 (PDT)
"There are situations where files won't be loaded from BSP files correctly. As time goes on they become fewer in number, but it's always worth checking regardless. The easiest way to do so is moving all of the embedded content out of the game's folders -- or even better, not storing it there in the first place."
Not storing custom content in steamapps sounds very good. Some questions:
- Where should files be stored then?
- How to setup up Hammer so the materials are still available in the browser etc?
- How to run maps? Could one perhaps setup a build step to add all materials at every compile? How?
--Kraybit 12:42, 3 November 2013 (PST)
BSPZIP is found at "%sourcesdk%\bin\<sdk version>\bin\bspzip.exe".
This doesn't seem to be correct? Took me a while for instance to realise that BSPZIP for CSGO is not in the SourceSDK-folder at all, but inside the "Counter-Strike Global Offensive/bin"-folder.
--Kraybit 12:48, 3 November 2013 (PST)