Info ambient mob start
This article is a stub. You can help by adding to it.
This entity sets the starting point for a bounding box where mobs should spawn by the director's command if the player does not advance for some time throughout the level. It cannot be manipulated directly and only works once an entire area has been cleared of infected near this bounding box. In official maps, info_ambient_mob_start appears with info_ambient_mob_end. The entity sets have the same targetname. The sets appear to not be sensitive to the direction of flow and whether it is touching the ground or not.
- Entity Scripts
- Space delimited list of VScript files (without file extension) that are executed after all entities have spawned. The scripts are all executed in the same script scope, later ones overwriting any identical variables and functions.
- Script think function
- Name of a function in this entity's script which will be called automatically every 100 milliseconds (ten times a second) for the duration of the script. It can be used to create timers or to simulate autonomous behavior. The return value (if present) will set the time until the next call. Note:Try to avoid expensive operations in this function, as it may cause performance problems.
- Removes this entity from the world.
- Removes this entity and its children from the world. Note:Entities already remove orphaned children upon being removed, but this input removes all children on the same frame, being marginally faster than
- Adds a keyvalue/output to this entity. It can be potentially very dangerous, use with care.
<output name> <targetname>:<inputname>:<parameter>:<delay>:<max times to fire, -1 means infinite>
- Fire the
OnUseroutputs; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- Same as a player invoking +use; may not do anything depending on the entity. Can also be invoked by firing an output that does not specify an input.
- Execute a VScript file from disk, without file extension. The script contents are merged with the script scope of the receiving entity.
- Execute a string of VScript source code in the scope of the entity receiving the input. String quotation may be needed when fired via console. Bug: In , the code is executed in the script scope of the entity that fires the output, not the one receiving the input.Warning: Never try to pass string parameters to a script function with this input. It will corrupt the VMF structure because of the nested quotation marks, which then must be removed manually with a text editor.
- Execute a VScript function in the scope of the receiving entity.
- Send this entity to a spot in the map. If the entity is parented to something, it will be offset from the parent by this amount.
- Set this entity's angles.
- These outputs each fire in response to the firing of the like-numbered
FireUser4Input; see User Inputs and Outputs.
- This output fires when the entity is killed and removed from the game.
Uses in official maps
The following maps have sets of info_ambient_mob_start and info_ambient_mob_end.
- A floor above Kappels near the beginning of the map. ambient_mob_01
- A floor above in the area before entering the maintenance corridors (this eventually leads to the alarm-mall-onslaught). ambient_mob_02
- An unreachable pit way behind the shack, right after the ferry and before entering the multi-pathway high walkways with a gator sign entrance. swamp1_mob
- Facing towards the gator entrance, the pits are located way in the back, completely unreachable. swamp2_mob
- Facing towards the saferoom, the set is located again in a hidden, unreachable pit to the right. swamp3_mob
- When exiting the saferoom and facing towards the direction of the escape_route, the set is located in an unreachable area to the left behind the insurmountable obstacles, such as fencesambient_mob_01
- A small set located in the "background environment" beyond the orange plastic fences. This is right before the first shantytown has ended. ambient_mob_02
- This is almost like an extension of ambient_mob_02, where it wraps around the unreachable area that is guided by the escape route when reaching the battlefield for the panic event for the second cluster of buildings in shantytown. ambient_mob_03
- When facing in the direction of the escape route, the final shack in the panic event before reaching an area without buildings, but before the outhouse. The set is way to the left in an unreachable area. ambient_mob_05
- At the end of the map, before the entrance to the park in the next map (c5m2_park). The set covers the entire area. mob_1
- Hidden behind the truck before entering the café kitchen. Start is located on an upper floor and wraps down to the End that is near the white truck. mob_2
- Hidden in area beyond the large blocking metal fences next to the bar where the jukebox is. They are far behind areas that cannot be seen or navigated, such as a green fence and obscured by a building next to the green fence. mob_3
- In this map, info_ambient_mob_start and end sets are not used. info_ambient_mob is used frequently instead. No targetnames are used.
- In area with the entrance to the sewers. The set is by the white van and follows along the metal barriers seen before entering the area from the building. amob1
- Near the first trailer encountered in this map, right after dropping down from the bus that blocks the street. amob2
- In area left of the second trailer encountered before entering the final building that leads to the area with the sewer entrance. amob3
- At end of the strip of road behind survivors in unreachable area blocked by high metal walls/fences, having to fall down to in the beginning of map. This area is before entering "The Jazz Club" street1_mob
- In the same strip of road, but in the middle and on the right. It is an unreachable area that survivors will never see. street2_mob
- At another strip of road encountered finishing the class panic event (after getting health items near the dynamic light). The entity set is similar to number 1, as the set is located behind high metal walls/fences, behind the survivors. street3_mob