All Half-Life: Alyx models start from meshes. These can be authored in two ways: From a pre-existing mesh file created in external 3D software, or alternatively, a mesh made wholly within Hammer and exported as a model.
Creating a model
There are two separate ways you can create a model using the applications present in the Half-Life: Alyx Workshop Tools.
From an existing mesh
To create a model using an existing mesh made with in an external program:
- Launch ModelDoc Editor if it is not already open.
- Select the yellow star button.
- Select "Add Meshes..."
- From the window that opens, navigate to, and open a mesh that is within your addon's content folder. It should be placed in your addon content's "models" folder. If you do not have one, create it.
Hammer can be used to create models without the use of third-party software. Simply create something that you wish to make a model out of, and do the following:
- Select the meshes you wish to create a model from
- Right click on them
- From the context menu, select "Selected Objects" > Create Model From Selection
- From the save dialog, save it somewhere in your "models" folder in the content folder for your addon.