Firearms: Source is a team-based military shooter. Players chose from over 31 modern weapons ranging from the Colt M1911 and Uzi to the M60 machinegun and M79 grenade launcher. Equipment is selected through Firearms' unique Credit system. Upon entering a server, players are granted 30 credits and can then spend those credits on any combination of firepower and body armor they choose, without restriction. Firearms: Source plans to continue adding weapons with each major release.
Firearms: Source is being developed by former FA Team member David "Hitman" Reeves and with permission from the current FA Team Leader, Alex Jordan. All maps that are being ported to the Source engine for official use in FAS have had their authors contacted regarding permission. No maps being ported or remade off any Half-Life 1 levels are being done without such permission, even if the authors are unable to be contacted.
Wondering what some of the key features of our mod are? Firearms: Source is a fast-paced, quasi-realistic, action-oriented, warfare-centric modification for Valve's Source engine. FAS doesn't keep you waiting around to respawn or running forever to get into the action; our whole focus is on keeping you in the midst of the most brutal and violent firefights you've ever seen in Half-Life 2, period.
- Four brutal gameplay modes
Push your enemies from one side of the combat zone to the other, slaughtering everything in your path; search and destroy their supplies; capture their intelligence; or dominate them by controlling more territory.
- Thirty-One Weapons
Use over 31 kinds of pistols, melee weapons, shotguns, SMGs, assault rifles, sniper rifles, machineguns, grenade launchers, and hand grenades to kill, maim, humilate, and slaughter your opponents - with more added each release.
- Eight Maps
FAS includes eight professionally made maps, with settings ranging from the wintery urban landscapes of Mother Russia to the pretty island jungles of the South Pacific.
- Incredible Artwork
Top artists from around the Source modding community have come together to help us complete our art requirements. Weapon models by Schmung and SiD, weapon skins by Racer445 and The Expert.
- Professional Soundtrack
Firearms is set to the thumping tunes by musician Richard Douglas.
- Tried and True
Our mod has been through almost two years of internal alpha testing. We've spent countless hours murdering bugs, both in our maps and in our code, and gone over our combat model with a fine tooth comb.
- Dedicated Team
It means a lot to the community to know that their development team stands behind their work. Most of us have been pouring our hearts into bringing Firearms to Source since 2004, and we're all still here today, four years later. We're not going anywhere!
- Years of Support
Our first release won't be our last. We have tons of new weapons and maps in the works, which will be making their way to your hands on a regular basis during FAS's lifespan. Expect at least one or two new guns per month, on average.
- Unique and Diverse Weapons
Tired of playing with the same old M4A1 in every modern shooter? Then help us "Celebrate Diversity" by playing FAS! We have lots of new and interesting weapons we guarantee you've never heard of, like the OTs-33, Vollmer, Chang Feng, Becker Patrol, and Sako Rk.95.
Firearms: Source was started in 2006, but was not the first effort to bring Firearms to the Source engine. Hitman, Airwolf, SiD, Yourbestfriend, Naota, Shinobi and others had been working on Firearms: Revival since late 2004. This mod later changed names and merged with Firearms: Source in 2007. Prior to the beginning of the Firearms: Source project, the team leaders at that time (Issa and X^18) sought approval from the original Firearms developers to proceed. Since the current FA Team had asked that nobody else use the FA name, and had instead begun to work on their own mod called World at War, this permission was deemed crucial for the FAS project to have any legitimacy in the eyes of the public. Alex Jordan, the current FireArms: Half-Life Team Leader, and Ben Irwin, a former Team Leader, both lent their approval prior to any work being done.
This granting of permission was seen as somewhat disappointing to the Firearms: Revival team, who had originally begun Firearms for the Source engine in 2004 - long before the Firearms: Source Team. When the FAR Team leadership was approached by the original developers and asked to change their mods name, they agreed, and it became known as Incursion. The stipulation was that only the name needed to change, however, and Incursion was still fully intent on keeping Firearms-style gameplay.
- On the 5th of July 2006, the project was officially announced on the Firearms: Source website.
- On the 25th of February 2007, Firearms: Revival / Incursion merged with Firearms: Source, bringing the effort to achieve a Firearms product on the Source engine full-circle.
- On the 28th of February 2007, the announcement was made by then-team leader Jonathan "Issa" Middleton that Firearms: Source was in full private alpha testing.
- On the 24th of July 2007, the Firearms: Source soundtrack was first posted, with music composed by Rich Douglas.
- In October 2007, Jonathan Middleton stepped down from the team leadership position and handed control to Dave "Hitman" Reeves, a former FA Team member. This action was not announced to the community until January 2008.
As of August 2008, Dave Reeves is the current leader of the project, and both Alex Jordan and Ben Irwin are developers. FAS is currently in private alpha testing.
To continue adding more features and content to FAS post-release, we're looking for experienced weapon modelers, animators and skinners. We also won't turn away skilled mappers, 2D artists and anyone else who has something significant they feel they can contribute. We're always looking for new maps and other forms of content. If you're interested in helping us, don't hesitate to drop us a line!
Development Team Leads
- Jonathan "Issa" Middleton (Founder)
- Daniel "DysPatch" Miede (Development Lead)
- Alex "Shinobi" McGilvray (Lead Level Designer)
- Cale "Mazor" Dunlap (Lead Programmer)
- Christian Oelund (Artist)
- drhubbler (Artist)
- Dave "Hitman" Reeves (Level Designer)
- Inveramsay (Level Designer)
- Maddog (Artist)
- Maggie Middleton (Artist)
- Ross "Naota" Zevenhuizen III (Artist)
- racer445 (Artist)
- Schmung (Artist)
- Andrew "Stealth Silver" Fogarty (Artist)
- SteveUK (Programmer)
- Bob_Gneu (Programmer)
- TheUltra4sshole (Military Advisor, PR)
- thisismyname09 (Animator)
- Nigel "undertone" Soederhuysen (Level Designer)
- Vunsunta (Sound Engineer)
- engineer (Sound Engineer)
- Wolf (Level Designer)
- wangchung (Artist)
- The Expert (Artist)
- Dekier (Artist)
- AlejandroDaJ (Level Designer)
- Ben "Ninja Monkey" Irwin (Artist)
- sgt (Artist)
- onepunchmachine (Artist)
- rayy (Artist)
- Thor (Artist)
- Steel (Artist)
- Rich Douglas (Music)
- fub (Artist)
- Reason (Artist)
- Stoke (Artist)
- SiD (Artist)
- Xander (Artist)