Category talk:Regions & Atmospheres
Perhaps "theme" would be a better name?
Point. Do redirects work with categories, or do they have to be renamed?
- Just move them and update the articles, as far as I can tell. --TomEdwards 13:59, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Ok. I'm going to add a few more before I head out, so if someone else could do that it'd be great. --Charron 14:01, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
Also, stating this for the record. I'm creating this so that level designers have a single resource for all the themes and atmospheres used in Half-Life 1 and 2, and Counter-Strike. I think it would be very good for people to add pointers on real-life regions, so hopefully we can inspire more varied maps. I don't know about you folks, but I tend to get a little sick of seeing City 17 maps over and over, hopefully this'll help people get more ideas and create more variety. --Charron 13:15, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- A list of common soundscapes for each 'theme' could be good - likewise a couple of suggestions for common textures? --Cargo Cult 13:49, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Soundscapes and textures will require a little more research on the editor's part than I've done, but are certainly a good idea. Whoever does it first, set a standard for the position in the list (probably best between Environment and NPCs). --Charron 13:53, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- If the game's running in developer mode, it'll log the current soundscape to the console - play through HL2 and it's really useful for finding something that sounds good, as opposed to looking for something vaguely suitable in the soundscape definitions. If it's like HL1, there might be some impulse command for printing the name of the current texture under the crosshair - any ideas? --Cargo Cult 14:38, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- You'd have to ask a developer on that one, but you can always go and decompile all the official maps to see for yourself. Also, this appears to be a popular little section all of a sudden! :D --Charron 14:42, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- I usually just take screenshots and workout the textures / dimensions myself. It's more fun that way, but maybe depressing for some. ;) --- Campaignjunkie 17:35, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
These kind of remind me of the "style guides" that DaveJ did for the VERC. But isn't providing style guides for HL2 settings actually making it easier to duplicate, and thus increasing the number of City 17 maps everywhere? :) --- Campaignjunkie 14:03, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- I'm shooting to develop a template of sorts using in-game regions. I would hope others would add other real-world regions, like ancient Rome, American South, Asia, and so on. --Charron 14:07, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Ahh, say no more. It might help to develop an actual template though, similar to what's happened with the wonderful entity listings. --- Campaignjunkie 14:10, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Sadly, I don't know how. :( If you can, please do so. It should be simple, I just never figured it out. --Charron 14:25, 15 Jul 2005 (PDT)