AI Visually Interesting
This article is a stub. You can help by adding to it.
Visually Interesting hint_types are used to mark a specific location which NPC AI should consider looking or aiming at. NPC AI has only a limited capability for recognising Visually Interesting locations which are not marked by hints.
- Although they can be used with any hint node, Visually Interesting hint_types do not need to be part of the nodegraph and, in order to avoid nodegraph problems, should generally be placed as info_hint entities.
- An NPC will consider aiming at this hint when choosing a new target, provided that:
- There are no hostiles in the area.
- The hint is within the NPC's viewcone.
- The hint is in the NPC's range.
- The hint is not too close.
- Depending on the call, the hint is found during the NPC’s state. Ability to aim may affect their decision and the node may be locked for five seconds to prevent multiple NPCs staring at it in unison.
- For hint #13, If the NPC cannot aim it will look at the hint instead. For hint #14, the NPC won't even try to aim - it will only look at the hint.
Hint Type Summary Table :
|Hint||#||Notes||Codename||Conditions||NPCs affected||Use with|
|World: Window||2|| A scanner will consider inspecting whatever solid surface this hint is pointing at when idle.
Placement Tip: Consider facing this toward a brush with a window texture.
||hint is visible||npc_cscanner, npc_spotlight, npc_clawscanner||info_hint|
|World: Visually Interesting||13||Used to mark interesting areas that the AI would not recognise on its own. A NPC will consider aiming at this node when they next choose a new target. Depending on the call the hint is found during the NPC’s state and ability to aim may affect their decision and the node may be locked for five seconds to prevent multiple NPCs staring at it in unison. If they cannot aim they will look at the target instead.||
|World: Visually Interesting (Don't aim at)||14||Same as above, but only the head and eyes are affected.||
|World: Visually Interesting (Stealth mode)||16||Causes Alyx to go into stealth "readiness". This does not affect ai. She will constantly look at this point and use a slightly different posture. Causes animation glitches in combat.||
||hint is visible||npc_alyx||info_hint|