User:Thelonesoldier/TLSs UB3R L33T AW3SOM3 MOD
TLS's UB3R L33T AW3SOM3 MOD is freaking totally amazing nearly-total conversion for Half-Life 2: Episode 1. It's well known at basically all forums for having the tightest multiplayer and the most 3s of any mod anywhere, along with a 167 hour campaign. It's rumored that Valve hasn't made Episode 3 because Gabe Newell plays Ub3r L33t Aw3som3 Mod in his sleep. This mod could totally have gone commercial and Valve wanted to buy it but the creators love the mod community too much so they released this kickass collection of 16 gigabytes of amazingness for FREE.
Development of this game started with the Duke Nukem 2 engine and took over 11 years to develop, but we can all agree it was totally worth it! What the heck are you waiting for, why are you still reading this description when you could be PLAYING THIS GAME RIGHT NOW! (after you download it which will take a while probably)
Although we have a very large and experienced team including nearly every great modder ever, especially TLS who is so awesome that Adrian Carmack quit his job, we are always looking to expand Ub3r L33t Aw3som Mod until we at least rival World of Warcraft in players. JOIN OUR TEAM NOW and be part of the greatest thing that's ever happened to the internet.
Ub3r L33t Aw3som3 Mod (ULAM) is an almost total-conversion of Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (because Episode 2 is lame), which means it changes almost everything about Half-Life 2 except the stuff that was too awesome too change, which isn't much because nothing is nearly as awesome as ULAM. There are over 67 new weapons, over 138 high-poly character models, five billion textures, eight-hundred and seventeen maps, 2047 achievements (which is the most that Steam supports!), and over 27 voice acted unique characters in the campaign.
ULAM takes place in an alternate reality where machines took over the world and trapped most of the surviving humans in a virtual world that is kind of like the Matrix but not copyright-infringing. To try and fight back, the human Rebellion traveled through time to gather Pirates, Ninjas, Vikings, and Samurai. The machines then built their own robotic Pirates, Ninjas, Vikings, and Samurai to fight back! The combat takes place both inside and outside the Virtual Machine World (tm) with special UB3R physics in the VMW! That's right, this is the ONLY game EVER where you can be a pirate inside a 'mech fighting a Robot Samurai riding a dinosaur with pulse lasers and rocket snarks while using UB3R BULL3T TIM3! Plus, the game has Alyx who got warped to this dimension during the week she disappeared in the teleporter with Gordon Freeman!
Inside the VMM, players can cast magic spells using manabyte powers! 119 basic spells and you can dynamically blend spells to make new ones!
SINGLE PLAYER - The single player campaign is over 180 hours long and features full voice acting, nine different endings including a Dark Side ending, 111 missions spanning over 500 maps, and dozens of characters and hundreds of NPCs! Start out as a human who is accidentally released during routine maintainance, you either rise to be the leader of the Rebellion, or you can choose to lead the machines in their fight against humanity! The campaign features several time travel segments where you go to historic periods and meet incredibly awesome characters like a badass ninja who has six swords! And there's Mechs!
That's not even all! The campaign features a unique leveling system where you gain experience for getting really awesome kills against people, especially during UBT! Stab a zombie (the game also has zombies!) with your left-handed dagger and then shoot him in the groin with your sawed off Triple-Barrel Shotgun for UB3R POINTS! You can level up to level 600, boosting your stats to Godlike and allowing you to do the most awesome stunts ever seen in a video game!
Will you be the hero who saves humanity, or the villainous fiend who rises to command the machine world! Will Alyx really fall in love with you? Will you save Crono? Only you can find out!
MULTIPLAYER - Of course Ub3r L33t Aw3som3 Mod features the sickest, slickest, quickest, and thickest multiplayer action seen in any game ever released! Supporting up to 67 players in massive multiplayer battles, the multiplayer portion of the game covers all of the timelines and locations represented in the campaign, and features all of the sweet characters and factions! There is also a separate leveling system with 999 levels! It will take approximately seventeen years of playtime to reach the last level, but you'd be unstoppable! Source's net code has been completely rewritten from the ground up to virtually eliminate latency, so you can frag and stab without ever getting mad about a sag of lag!
Of course there is a robust and awesome spectator system with Dynamic Cinematic Camera with a virtual AI Director (no relation to Left 4 Dead who basically stole our name) who picks the best camera angles at the hottest scenes of action! Talk your girlfriend into watching you be a pirate dueling a viking weilding an energy axe! Heck, why do you even have a girlfriend, she's just distracting you from ULAM!
There are sixteen unique classes in mutliplayer, including sniper, swashbuckler, medic, zombie, and engineer, each with access to special abilities and items! You can fully customize your character with different skills and accessories and choose your preferred weapons in combat!
We are currently negotiating to have tournaments with all of the major tourney organizers in the US and Korea, so soon you'll be able to play this awesome game for the chance to win fame and money! Check back often!
- One of the longest campaigns in any game ever made! 195 hours with sixteen endings!
- Class-based multiplayer with an exhaustive RPG-based leveling system which gives more points for awesome kills!
- UB3R BULL3T TIM3! Rumor has it that this feature was supervised by the secret third Wachowski brother! Over eleven times as rad as normal bullet time!
- 68 new weapons! 14 melee weapons and the rest are lasers and guns and explosives!
- 139 high-poly character models! Better than Fakefactory!
- 5,000,000,000,000 textures!
- 817 maps, 311 of which are multiplayer!
- 2047 unique achievements, each with a name that's a pun! Including "Smite Club" and "No Country for Old Xen!"
- 28 voice-acted unique characters!
- Manabyte virtual magic with 119 spells and the ability to craft new spells!
- ALYX! (that's right, Alyx was too sweet to not be a character!)
- 16 degees of BLOOM! More Bloom than you know what to do with!
- 87 NEW SHADERS, including SSAO, HBAO, FAO, DOF, POMB (Per Object Motion Blur), Bull3t Tim3 Blur (tm), hyper-specular, Magic Film Grain, Acid Trip, Beer Goggles, and more!
- 128-bit depth buffer supporting a 16 mile draw distance!
- Dynamically Streaming Textures and Dynamically Loaded Objects allowing for levels up to eighty times the normal maximum size!
- 37 new controls!
- Practically no lag! Even dialup will get no more than 50 ping max!
- Support for 67-player massive battles in maps the size of a small state!
- Includes Ub3r Charact3r Customization so you can look exactly how you want!
- Fight how you want! Choose your class, skills, and weapons, and fight on foot, in mechs, on top of dinosaurs, or fly!
- Very moddable!
- Automatic belt-fed shotgun turrets!
- Rocket snarks and power-crowbars!
Ub3r L33t Aw3som3 Mod began around 1994 as a car-racing mod for Duke Nukem 2. With a tiny development team of just thelonesoldier (TLS), the mod slowly grew into a business simulation. However, with release of Duke Nukem 3D, development was halted so the ULAM team could rethink their development strategy.
TLS didn't resume work on ULAM until 1999, when he restarted the game, now envisioned as a flight-simulator modification for Mario Kart 64. After a 16-month development cycle, during which the team swelled to six members, the ULAM team realized the game was too big to fit on an N64 cartridge. The release of the Gamecube in 2001 sealed the fate of the Mario Kart version of ULAM.
Work didn't stop here, however. While the rest of the team disbanded, TLS focused on translating the game into a third-person shooter modification for SimCity 3000. He began porting the existing Mario Kart assets to the SimCity 3000 engine in 2003, but the work was later halted when it became clear that Valve's upcoming Source engine would be the ideal platform for ULAM.
With the release of the Source engine in 2004, TLS immediately resumed work, now creating ULAM as a second-person business simulation with some theme-mark-management elements. He quickly picked up a team of modders from the original Half-Life, and together they slowly evolved the game into its current state as a first-person shooter. The first screenshots were released in December 2004, drawing the attention of much of the modding community, who eagerly awaited this upcoming awesome game.
The first alpha of Ub3r L33t Aw3som3 Mod was released in-house in February 2005. From this point it was clear that the pirates-vs-mechs gameplay had a solid foundation but would need expansion. TLS undertook the ambitious undertaking of turning the game into a 100-hour-plus first-person shooter RPG with bullet-time mechanics. The first public, multiplayer-only, beta was released August 16 2005, featuring three character classes and one mech, as well as eight weapons. Reaction was overwhelmingly positive, and the team redoubled their efforts, now working an average of fifteen hours a day each, every day of the year.
Beta 1.3 came out November 2 2005, to the praise of the community. Now featuring twice the characters and three times the weapons, it was clear ULAM would rise to be one of the greatest games of all time.
Version 1.0 went gold on October 18 2006, offering 32-player multiplayer with most of the characters and weapons seen in the game now, as well as a 38 hour campaign. Since then the developers have steadily expanded the game into the incredible ball of awesomeness you now play today.
- Beta 1.0 - August 16, 2005
- Beta 1.1 - October 1, 2005
- Beta 1.2 - (unreleased)
- Beta 1.3 - November 2, 2005
- Beta 1.38 - January 11, 2006
- Beta 2.0 - March 2, 2006
- Beta 2.1 - April 13, 2006
- Beta 2.12 - April 15, 2006
- Beta 2.2 - June 22, 2006
- Release 1.0 - October 18, 2006
- Release 1.1 - December 25, 2006
- Release 1.2 - February 13, 2007
- Release 1.3 - May 6, 2007
- Release 1.4 - (unreleased)
- Release 1.5 - December 1, 2007
- Release 2.0 - January 19, 2008
- Release 2.1 - June 29, 2008
- Release 3.0 - August 16, 2008
- Release 3.1 - November 29, 2008
- Release 3.2 - February 4, 2009
- Release 3.3 - March 14, 2009
- Release 3.31 - March 15, 2009
- Release 3.4 - June 5, 2009
- Thelonesoldier (TLS) - Lead Developer, Mapper, Modeler, Sound Technician, Writer, Organizer, Suprivisor, Project Lead
- Frank Lloyd "Flight" Wright
- Daniel "bookie" Webster
- Nicholas "fumanchu" Cage
- Michael "McSpeedy" Waltrip
- Hernan "the conqu3ror" Cortez
- Jeff "is Right" Price
- Archie "debonaire" Leach
We always need more team members!! If you are interested in joining the awesomeness and working on probably the best game of all time, send us a message at once! We'd be happy to have everyone on the wiki working on this stuff! Just message us! Make sure you have a resume and stuff, you need to do good work, but trust us, this is why you were born. To work on this mod.